1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ECS confirms Core i7-990X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Kinda pointless.

My LGA1366 will keep running its 920 until its old and dated.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

128mb of cache?? :D We're back at the Pentium days, when the cache was off the cpu? :D

It's the last breath for LGA1366, it's just to hang on until Ivy Bridge arrives at the end of the year.

4. iElix

iElix What's a Dremel?

"featuring B1 stepping and 128MB of Level 3 cache"
    Never knew they had that much cache.......

5. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

They do this as they're releasing the first SB procs? WTF?

6. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Unless it breaks, why would you want/need to change an i7-9xx for ...oh I don't know... the next three or four years?

The software, especially games, just isn't taxing enough.

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Kinda pointless when just yesterday, you guys mentioned that the Sandy Bridge i7-2600K beats/matches the 980X in everything except highly-threaded apps. And the SB chip can OC to 4.8Ghz on just air.

8. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I am just awaiting delivery of my 980x im sure it will last me at least the next 2 years im running an amd 3500+ single core cpu on anasus A8N-SLI PREMIUM and 2 gig corsair xms cl2 platinum ddr400 so the 980x is a massive step up for me let alone sandy or ivy bridge

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The 990x is aimed at the ultra high end. This is good news for benching/overclockers. As hopefully this will mean a bit more consistency with the clocks under LN2, as the 980x's are all over the place. And SB may be no good for benching due to it's limited max clock speed.

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Intel always seem to do this when they release a new socket so it looks like they've saved the best till last when in fact they could have done it anytime they wanted to.
    As AMD have nothing to push intel into upping the ante they make it look like they're doing us a favor. I'm happy with my 940 and I'll wait to see what they do with the high end gear later this year. Also if I don't think AMD will beat Intel for a while yet as they are constantly one step behind but if they can bring 980/990 performance with their next range at decent prices I'll quite happily make the switch back to AMD .

11. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

i7 920 is great CPU and there is not need to buy anything more. Of course I would consider buying 6 core chip but price must be normal. In truth you can buy another motherboard+i7920 for the price of 980x/990x. I don't need few hundred extra MHz for crazy $$$ premium. Stock 920 is more than enough for anything used at home [although myself because of BOINC running it with medium OC to boost amount of returned results :)].

Honestly without any attempt to fool people. Running BOINC 24/7 with all 8 cores enabled and with 75% CPU time allocated for computations. Gaming is just fine. No problems at all.

12. dactone

dactone dact-one

i wish for the day that intel will make some more socket 1366 processors. i'll keep wishing.

13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

the 990s are certainly more prmising than the 980s from what i have seen from others and first hand. Ill say no more but atlast.. an "X" edition chip Id be happy to part cash with.

14. bothaus

bothaus What's a Dremel?

How is the 990x more promising? It is the same as 980x and W3680. Just a Vcore and clock bump. Would be cool to support 1333MHz memory as the Xeons do. I have seen people overclock the W3680 to 5.6+GHz. If the 990 can do that then cool but otherwise it is just a slightly higher default clock.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i'd say you made an interesting point, however, amd is claiming their next architecture is basically going to be the greatest anyone has ever made - including IBM, which btw still makes great stuff.

i'm not exactly sure when amd is going to be releasing their new products, but i'm guessing it'll be around the same time as the i7 990x (probably a week or 2 later)), considering the fact that the other 2 sandy bridge models are being delayed in release.

Tags: Add Tags