1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte G1-Killer Assassin Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Colour scheme looks good, hardware looks decent (if some slightly odd choices as you mentioned) but why do we have to suffer the silly names?

G1 Killer Assassin? A heatsink shaped like an AK magazine... Lame.

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

exactly what Krikkit says - and x58 is dead

4. thanatos912

thanatos912 Ma-Pu Ma-Pu Puma Puma Pu

Sounds like a legit mobo, however the fancy stuff is totally unnecessary. It's like going to a restaurant and paying for atmosphere --doesn't make the food taste better but you sure pay for it.

Shame they went with the 1156, I'm already sold on the Sandy Bridge.

5. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Wow. I've never been a fan of Gigabyte's terrible blue PCB with multicoloured components vomited everywhere, but an unbelievably cheesy ammo clip for a heatsink? I'm happy with the lime and black look though, although it puts me in mind of EVGA and some DFI boards.

But the tacky "gaming" stuff, just no...

6. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Looks a bit childish with the bullit magazine, does it come with plastic toy gun?

7. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Don't suppose anyone else noticed that if you take away the dodgy gunclip heatsink this is just a blatant copy of the Asus R3E :p nice try gigabyte, better luck next time

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

those colors remind me of XFX scheme. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the heatsinks shape, but I do like the colors : )

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I like the colour scheme as well as the tacky magazine. I wouldn't buy it though as I would prefer 1155

10. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

i cannot believe its got an ammo clip! how tacky.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Excuse me for my crude French, but WTF? Just how cheesy is it possible to make a motherboard look? Sheesh...

I think Gigabyte got a lot of stick for their bright blue/neon color scheme, so finally thought it was a good idea to change the color scheme... and add a damn magazine to the board? Wat..

Yeah it's probably a good board underneath, but damn..

12. jalex3

jalex3 What's a Dremel?

:| looks better than i thought it would, mag sinks abit much. b tbh no sandy bridge means do not want. plus the added nic is not real use to me, and i use my own sound card. interested in hearing more about the other models. but dont want until its runs sandy or bulldozer

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

My first thought, it was ostentatious, then I saw the board, then i thought, that IS extremely ostentatious.

My verdict: It's ostentatious. And that will definitively be an annoying name to say if anyone asks you. E-Peen galore.

14. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Paint that north bridge heat sink yellow and guess what it'll look like, can anyone see what I see?

15. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Who is gonna be buying an x58 chip in a months time? The only hope they have is that alienware buy a truckload of them. Somebody in their r&d team needs a kick in the hole cos this board is a year too late!

16. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

creative cards smooth out noise (software / hardware function) in mp3's though so if you get features like that it still has some value but i've always been concerned about mb component noise using onboard sound but if you only have medium speakers it's a plus. I'd pay an extra £10 to try out a killer nic - although it's stuck to that board so when you upgrade again....

17. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Do they come with jacobs crackers and a glass of port?

18. Mork

Mork What's a Dremel?

Is it just me, or does the heat sink next to the I/O ports resemble the front end of a handgun or something? Sure does look odd.

I really think It's a flop with the styling on the board. The colors are ok (far better than Gigabyte's old blueish). Same goes for the name. I'd bet Gigabyte hired 10 13-year old Counter-Strike gamers and asked them to design the motherboard of their dreams :p

19. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

in three words -

I like it!

At least its much more unique and they're taking a risk (which is nice to see!) and its like my Sabertooth mobo, when talking to people who ARENT so tech savvy when you say your mobo is a GA-880GM-UD2H they look blank, you say is an Asus Sabertooth (yes, with the e and r in the wrong places and EVERYTHING) they get more into it. Makes things a lot clearer in naming terms (nVidia 'm looking at you!)

20. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

all most liked it until i saw the mag heat sync....... NO NO NO NO........... someone needs a slap

Tags: Add Tags