1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I still don't want to play WoW.

3. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I guess I am lucky I could never see the appeal of WoW. Only ever really played one MMO: Ragnarok Online and pretty much quit a long time ago.

My main problem with modern MMOs, apart from them basicaly replicating work in a fantasy environment, is the design. Pretty much all of them are 3D games these days, and with a couple of exceptions the engines are designed to run even on rather weak rigs. Add to that the generic "fantasy" art style and I just can't look at the screen.

I would love to play a game with an art style similar to say Saga Frontier 2 from the old PSX. I guess it's not going to happen though. Yeah, it might be a bit petty argument, but if you are going to spend 500 hours of your life staring at a game then might as well enjoy the art style

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Quite nice to see the positive review, I've often felt like Bit-Tech has an endless stream of hate for all Blizzard games.

5. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The new content in the "old world" is absolutely fantastic. There are much more quests to play through and it eliminates the grind that made running up to 80 so boring.

I'm a long term (4 years) casual player, and I only got my first level 80 last week, so with characters in a slew of levels between 20 and 72 playing the same stuff over and over was getting a little dry, and there were wasted zones you just didn't bother to visit at all (mainly azshara).

The only downside for me is that due to the nature of how I play irregularly, my characters are full of rested experience and they end up over-level in the content - especially if you wish to "complete" the zone as the achievements encourage you to do so - meaning it can sometimes just be a bit of a pew-pew session going through green quests and monsters. When their XP drops too low it does cause equilibrium eventually however, as they stop giving you any at all until you overtake again.

What they did to the quests and progressions has been needed for a long, long time, and I'm glad its here to be honest.

6. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

I was looking forwards to it, but after some friends blasted throu' to 85 I haven't got that far yet, sorta got bored questing at level 83. Instead I played an ALT from level 1, the "New" old world stuff is great and well thought out. Like when you enter instances the quests (givers) for the instance are standing just inside. Makes it less of a pain in the butt to hunt them down. The many new flight points making travelling less time consuming and the best bit.. Not having to return to the quest giver when doing quest chains (the new quest pops up on the right of your screen). Some of the models (Yeti Lord outside the Yeti caves) look fantasic and the zones being redone make it well worth levelling an ALT.

However, the shock comes at level 60 when you are shipped off to the outlands. This is still proper old wow style.Suddenly you have to find them quests for the instances, quest chains no longer pop up, so you go do quest 1, then return, hand in, get quest 2, return, hand in, get quest 3. Aggghh!!. Levelling becomes a chore again. :( The difference between outlands and the *new* old world is glaring; hopefully blizzard will tweak outlands to be more player friendly.

Oh it also appears that Silvermoon City and that island is still a zone you are unable to fly in.

7. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

The business model of Blizzard is the same as a drugs dealer's. Make people spend money and when they think of stopping they start thinking of all the money they spent and then they keep on spending.
    In my opinion it's a vicous circle.

For that reason I'm out

8. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

hmmm sweet sweet wow crack.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Really, get over yourself. You must have had a very sheltered life to believe that.

10. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

why do people instantly see wow thread, and think "LOL MUST WRITE UR ALL ADDICTS LOL KEK KEK KEK LOLLS!"

Enjoying Cata so far, about to level my rogue via gathering + Archaeology!

11. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

The new world changes are very nice. Still hate the new talent trees though. (Levelling up and getting nothing sucks.)

Very impressed with the worgen starting area.

12. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Didn't say you were addicts - just commenting on the business model.

But then addicts wouldn't admit they are addicted. They think they're pretty normal!

13. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

I've played WoW since the USA beta, and had an enjoyable time doing so. This latest expansion is a distinct improvement over WotLK.
    The 80 to 85 journey can be over fast or slow. I got my main to 85 inside 24 hours, but am taking my time with an alt. At 85 there is a lot to do. Heroic dungeons pose a proper challenge, with players being asked to play their classes over zerging; the new Heroic's are great fun. I am also enjoying the raiding content. I raid a casual 3 days a week. The bosses I've tried in the 3 new raid instances have been entertaining and original. Blizzard's attention to detail is everywhere, and the revamp of the old World is really quite something.
    The game is not without problems, such as PvE dps class balance (hunters are too strong), and also attacker / defender balance in the new PvP zone, Tol Barad.
    Overall I think Cataclysm is quality stuff. The game seems to work on so many levels, that unless you are completely miserable in real life, Cataclysm is hard not to enjoy.

14. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have contemplated playing WoW but never got further than thinking about of it due to the on-going cost. I played the paper version of D&D at school and college, and have played games such as Baldurs Gate 1&2, NeverWinter nights, Dragon Age etc and loved them. I then thought I would try out Guild Wars as it was on offer at Steam, but really didnt get on with it as it just looked pants after playing Dragon Age.

Is WoW as good as Dragon Age etc for a newbie, or should I stick to single player RPGs?

15. Pilgrim72

Pilgrim72 What's a Dremel?

I am from the same position as gcebbyuk... I have been tempted by WoW several times before, but not taken the plunge due to concerns the ongoing subscription costs not justifying the gaming experience long term, and whether you would need to play the game for a couple of hours per day every day in order to see the best of it (something that just isnt possible when you're an adult with a job, kids that dont live you with and things that unfortunately must be done away from a pc screen!

:eek:)

What are the thoughts of the experienced and wise?

16. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I work 5 days a week, and spend most nights with the Mrs. so my playtime isn't all that much, but I'll happily pay for the subscription fees. It is possible to do a 10 day trial free of charge, PM me if you want a referall, I'm sure I could help you guys out :)

17. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

After many years playing I quit after Lich King, went back for Cata but only find myself playing casually now. For me even though all of the changes are an improvement - it is still the same game, the same grind at end game and ultimately the cosmetic changes don't change that experience.

I guess for me the concept has run its course and become a little too much of the same over and over.

18. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

So any company that uses a subscription model is akin to a drug dealer selling heroin. Yep, your so well grounded in reality.

19. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

But nobody hates blizzard since rock'n'roll racing!

I never played WoW myself, but i was told you can't own a house on the planet itself like you could in Ultima Online. That's is for me a tremendous turn down. I've played Runes of magic where you could have a house, but it wasn't a physical house. Not sure if I made myself clear. it's hard to express myself in english sometimes.

20. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I pay a subscription to Spotify as well as WoW. I wonder if that means I'm addicted to music and MMOs?!?!

Tags: Add Tags