1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft Seeks to Block Apple App Store Trademark

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Frankly, I would have hoped the application for trademark was refused anyway, but it can't hurt to have a big player raising the complaint.

3. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

thankfully someone is happy to stand up against apple in the courtroom. shame its MS but still...

4. jamie_macdonald

jamie_macdonald What's a Dremel?

"shame it's MS"

Why's that ... as far as i can tell they have allways stuck up for their and our rights as consumers (the only iffy stuff was back in the DOS days was it not?).

Good to see them doing it they way it should be done ^^ ...That best go through cause the patent an idea or phrase thing is getting ridiculous and will only cause us all much grief (apart from lawyers who will earn alot!).

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Looks like Jobs has shot himself in the foot with that statement. When the companies mouth piece is using the very terminology Microsoft has come up with, can't see Apple winning this one.

6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'm with MS on this one.

7. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Apple seem incredibly trademark and patent happy at the moment. We'll have to pay them a royalty to breath soon.

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Claiming rights to what is a shortening of "application store" is quite silly. Stores, applications and stores that sell applications have been around for ages!

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Don't be naive. This is just a turf fight between two corporations. Our 'rights' don't come into it. Neither is Microsoft taking a moral stance. Need I remind you of the Mike Rowe Soft saga?

10. Snips

Let's also not forget the Mike got a hell of alot more out of it than Microsoft ever did.

11. dactone

dactone dact-one

whats an app store ? is that where you get ''applications'' for you android win7 or iphone or whatever else uses applications? you can't tradmark mark app store haha! i bet you couldn't even trademark apple store immagine some poor guy decides to sell his apples in his apple store that he grew on his apple trees thats called the apple store .......... never mind.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is kind of beside the point. Mike was minding his own business; Microsoft picked a fight with him in an attempt to copyright the phonetic pronunciation of its brand name.

13. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Apple! The company is called Apple! And the case is that "app store" is a generic term???
    How do you like them Malus Domesticas?

14. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

trademarking "app store" is the same as a food store (Hannaford for example) trying to trademark "supermarket", it is such a generic term that I am surprised the Patent and trademark office didn't throw out the application immediately.

If they had called their app store "iAppcentral" or something even remotely creative then sure, let them trademark it, but this really doesn't deserve any of our tax dollars spent on it.

15. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I hope Apple get laughed out of court on this one, much like the way they wanted to trademark the letter "i" if used infront of another word.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

"Ass Store"

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If it was up to me, then I'd burn 75% of all patends to start with. Patends for names and general ideas should never be granted in the first place.

All these patends for general ideas are totally ruining the world. Patends should only be granted for specific stuff, like a physical mechanism, or chemical stuff etc.
    Ontop of that, patends should only last a maximum of 10-15 years before they become public knowledge and are free to use by everyone.

The rest is covered by intellectual property rights.

Death to patends!

18. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

To be honest...while I do think of Apple's own App Store first, the fact is that the word really has become a generic term referring to applications on any platform.

And Jobs said it himself, according to MS. If this is true, depending on how he said it, this alone should mean that Apple shouldn't be allowed to file this...

19. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Don't you mean iBreath?

Material likes this.
  20. Snips

I completely understand what you are saying but this is kinda different since Jobs himself used the term in describing the competition. It's not the "App" in Apple, it's the "App" in application.

Mike Rowe knew he was playing with the name Microsoft. However, I'm sure he's smiling now. Lucky son of a &@%$#!

Tags: Add Tags