1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Alice: Madness Returns Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

it looks lovely

end of

3. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Beat this game a few days ago on PS3, enjoyable plus it came with a free copy of the first game. It could have been much better though, this is surely a rental unless your a serious for real-real fan of the series.

*spoiler alert* - Alice is a badass. *snicker-snack*

4. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

If Garcia Hotspur was in this it'd get 100%

5. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Suppose I better comment seeing as I whinged so much at you the other day Joe!

Definitely in agreement with your review, this game is a breath of fresh air compared to my staple diet of 1st person shooters. The world is beautiful tho some of the animation is not without fault, Alice walks around with an air cushion of about an inch under her shoes at all times. Combat can be confusing with sometimes wayward controls & camera and the use of a lot of keys. I like the teapot enemies as you can stun them from a distance and then use Alices dodge to swoop in and hack them with the very satisfying to use dagger. There is more than a touch of Zelda to this game, it brought me back years....

On the dodgy controls and hard to judge distances... I have tried this game with a keyboard/mouse and xbox 360 controller. Purists will hate this but alice is easier (read more intuitive) to control with the xbox 360 controller, you get a more precise feel. There is a trade off here with the pepper gun as it's slower to manoeuvre.

I agree the game is worth 80 because of it's almost perfect finish but it is more compelling than most games I've played this year... It has that cult classic vibe!

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I thoroughly enjoyed the first game, so I'm really looking forward to this. Although, the pricing is all over the bloody place. On PC, you can get it retail or from Steam for £30. EA Digital Download want to charge £35. I'd actually rather get this on console, but the console price is £40.

PC gaming is dying? Not for me when there's a £10 premium on console games...

7. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You should learn that I already have shopped around. The cheapest retail price for the 360 is £38. I'd rather buy retail than have to wait for and subsequently re-arrange a delivery (I always miss deliveries because I work full time).

I saw that link offering the PC version for £19 (http://play-sc.com/Alice-Madness-Returns-PC-Download.html) and I have to say that it looks dodgy at best. First, it's a retailer I've never heard of and there are no ratings on Google's "shopping" search. Secondly, they don't actually sell the game directly, nor do they offer a digital download. No, they promise to send you a

No thanks, that stinks of scam to me. Especially when EA themselves offer the digital download version for £35. If you can find a reputable retailer selling it at £20 on the PC, I may eat my words.

9. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

This sounds like brutal legends to me. By that I mean a flawed game but one with enough character and interesting stuff in it's world to make it worth playing.

Will check it out when it's cheaper. Love the twisted art style.

10. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Have to say after fnding the first game in a bargain bucketb I was waiting patiently for this to come out and drooled over every trailer visually i thought the characters disapponted just a tad but the enemies were awesome. Deserving of the 80% as it does seem a little rough at points and stupidly placed invisible walls are annoying

for the price though specially with it coming with the first game well worth a look.

11. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

It's a sad day for gaming when lack of multiplayer is considered a legitimate complaint for a title focused entirely on providing a single-player experience.

12. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Is it just me, or is this "Review" entirely without score? Or is B-T not bothering with those anymore?

13. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

I became interested into buying the game when one of my friends who tries out a lot of games and he said it was awesome...or something along those lines. It was good... damn beautiful, but the controls were annonying. The dodge never seemed to work and my jumps are 30% accurate, however I love the fact that being distracted gives you rewards (secret entrances).

Love how the hair flows on alice...ahahahahaha and the ever changing clothes. Although I was slightly disturbed with the first one that she wears... a skull on the ribbon...really? Love the steam punk world and if I didn't OC my core i7 920 it would lag (I have a HD6970) surprisingly.

14. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

the score was 80% says at the bottom lol

15. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I enjoyed the first one (a long while back) but my tastes have changed quite a bit since then, don't know if I could get into this now.

16. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

According to the Wiki page linked, brillig just means "four o'clock in the afternoon, the time when you begin broiling things for dinner", not brilliant :p

17. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

from what i understand of nonsense used in literature, it can mean whatever its intended to mean even if it is used in another context found in a separate piece of literature.

i loved the first alice, mainly because it was a quake 3 port. this game looks just as interesting.

18. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags