1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft announces UPlay Passport

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jul 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

dont buy second hand games so doesnt affect me in fact i havnt bought anything Ubisoft since FarCry2 and probably wont unless they start exploring more niche IPs (Mortal Online, Ultima online etc)

but personally i see this as a form of enforced DLC just depends on how important the 'Extra' Content actually ends up becoming

3. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

******s, they do this already with the consoles, just another way to wring money from thier market, you might as well buy the game new, (which is what they want), than buying second hand and having to pay to play online, UNLESS the price of second hand games drop to reflect the price of a new code.

hold on...., i cant remember the last time i bought second hand !, so its a moot point, I mean, when was the last time you bought a second hand game ?, exactly, pc games are much cheaper than thier console cousins, thats why the 2nd hand market crashed a few yrs ago for the pc, no retail shop even stocks pc games in the uk, so pretty pointless Ubisoft, no one is gonna be buying these codes.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

doesnt really affect the pc market as second hand games doesnt really exist due to serial codes most shops wont even take pc games on trade

does affect the console market pretty hard if they are gonna go at it like this as it will drop £8 of most copies of driver san francisco straight away in the second hand area. Your not likely to see any trade in deals involving it

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I've never bought a new game for my PS3 so this could be fairly irritating!

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I have no problem with this or similar systems, since the developer gets absolutely nothing from second hand sales while retailers get 100% of the profit. They're not punishing people who buy second hand games, they're just incentivising the purchase of new games and allowing second hand buyers to access the extra content for a small additional fee, if you choose to do so. Without such systems, there is no reason to buy a new game when you can buy a second hand copy for less just a few days after release and access exactly the same content (without the developer seeing a penny), so all they're doing is differentiating used games from new ones.

7. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Could you just give the new owner the online username and password? right?

8. demonisch

demonisch What's a Dremel?

It is linked to your UPlay account, so unless you create a new UPlay account per game, if you gave the details to someone they would be able to access all your games. I doubt retailers would allow you to give the username and password also, they have no guartiuee the login works

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Yes, probably, but there is also Nintendo's 'Only play once through' system, where you have one saved game, and you can't start from the beginning again.

The tactics being used here seem very very unfair to the end-consumer.
    What if every CD you bought could only be listened to once ? Every DVD ? bluray ?

People are buying these games, not renting them. If they buy and own said game, they should have the right to re-sale. This is especially true to the console crowd, since they never have CD-Keys or online activation codes to worry about.

This is just greedy b'stards getting even more greedy, because they have too much crap which isn't selling.
    I seriously regret having bought Far Cry 2, and since then have waited well after release before even thinking of purchasing.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Box?

11. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah you know, your other half's special place.

It's a technological nightmare.

Guest-16 likes this.
  12. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm getting sick of having to set up and login to online accounts for every bloody game I play.

13. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

This is b******s, stuff like this annoys the crap out of me, if I brought a second hand book or cd's I wouldn't expect to have to pay again just to look at the pictures or read the inlay.
    Shouldn't be allowed.

14. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

Sounds like more on Disc DLC to me. Only they're really trying hard to make you feel bad for not buying new.
    I guess I'll have no more impulse purchases at a fiver anymore. well, for upcoming Ubi games anyway.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

meh. nothing different to other systems we already have. in fact, it's the same with ALL PC games:
    any Ubisoft game -> zero resale value, tied to Uplay account
    any EA game -> zero resale value, tied to EA account
    any GFWL game -> zero resale value, tied to GFWL account

zero effect for us PC gamers. it just devalues console game resale value, a good thing, making PC gaming more attractive from price of game point of view

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ROLF!

17. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, I was thinking of breaking my boycott of Ubisoft for the new Driver, but this sort of thing just reinforces my resolve.

Although I've sold a game on precisely once, and regretted it ever since. So the likelihood I would sell it on is slim.

18. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Can't believe people think this is acceptable.

All this trash talk about shops selling second hand games near full price games, so what? Don't trade your game in if you don't think you are getting it's monies worth. But wait a minute, the shop is selling it near full price, so that means you can undercut the shop and sell it for a little less than the current going price. That is a good thing!

This online pass reduces the second hand value of the game so you get less back if you decide to sell on. BAD THING!

Should be illegal, as the pass is for a service, but it's limited to the game, but is already included in the price of the first hand sale, so how can they charge for the already paid for service?

19. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

You missed one out. :p Steam.

Don't know why people are talking about PC here, this is clearly an news article aimed at the console crowd.

20. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Well Ubisoft and any others whose do this goodbye to me ever buying your games within 6 months of release.

Tags: Add Tags