1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Serious Sam: Double D Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 31 Aug 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I'll give it a miss thanks.

5. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

+1 Bought FarCry bundle for £4 off Steam instead...

6. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Wait, so actually having to exhibit some dexterity and crowd control in a shooter is now suddenly "frustrating"? Serious Sam was basically all about controlling the hordes that attacked you. If you think that it was intended to be a silly, leisurely walk in the park against a mass of impotent enemies, I'll kindly recommend the "tourist" difficulty to you.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I bought Far Cry 2 on steam last night. Won't run on my old win7 and I get a message saying it prefers SP1 windows. So i booted to my newer win 7 SP1, installed and it works fine. Far Cry 2 still looks stunning even by today's standards. Very impressive.

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Pretty much the point of the franchise.

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Review fails since it misses the entire point of the serious sam games.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I grew up and away from side scrollers back in the 90's. I will wait for SS3.

11. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

I find the most disappointing thing about the new Serious Sam games is the try-hard tattoo they've given him. Is Sam meant to have an inferiority complex or something now?
    EDIT: and no, that's not an attack on tattoos generally. Just don't like the change is all. A serious bomb on its own might have looked good.

12. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Gotta say - played it, loved it... finished it, wanted more, checked the challenges, somewhat lacking, tried replaying, managed to wall-jump a couple of spots with the jump pad and dick about, etc...

Very much worth the £4-ish I paid for it, but probably not a whole lot more. Delightful little Sam-fest, though!

My only other problems were:

Why no 1920x1080 or 1200 support? Had to stick with 1600x900.

Why does this game hog memory like there's no tomorrow if left on? Had it paused for a couple of hours while I went out, and came back to find it had taken 30% CPU resources on a Core i7 and over 1GB of RAM. The whole game isn't even 1GB! Made the Gun Stacker screen take 15-20 seconds to exit from every time. Quick-save, restart, everything fine again. Whew...

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

How long did it take to finish? If it's less than an hour I won't be buying it.

14. SeñorTasty

SeñorTasty What's a Dremel?

I'm in about 5 hours, believe I'm on the second level (a bit of perspective for ya). Taking my time on this one, it's that fun. Tons of enemy's, frantic fast paced action, lots of guns (gunstacker is pretty awesome) pretty much everything you could expect from a SS title. Highly recommend.

Tags: Add Tags