1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One will support second hand games, for a fee

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 21 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. rollo

rollo Modder

The for a fee bit just kinda killed the second hand market though.

3. AiA

AiA Minimodder

so i'm guessing you can't lend a game to anyone

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

oh crap, so the day so my mate doing for drinks and games night mean he has to bring his console?

5. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

well if the fee is small like a few £ and it goes to the dev/publisher then I think that's ok so long as Game and alike stop ripping people off like buying a week old game for £20 and selling it for £37 when the game new costs £40.

6. AiA

AiA Minimodder

don't really like the whole concept of them getting a cut in the second hand sale of the item,
    it either devalues the item (so u have to sell it for less)

wild stab in the dark, but i think the fee will be £10 or £9.99
    or actually what ever the equivalent ms points is

7. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

If it's a rip off, don't trade in? If it's a rip off, buy from somewhere cheaper?

This is daft move by Microsoft.

8. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Simple enough. Don't buy the console. Consumers have the power but follow like sheep instead of using that power. Sega found out when they botched agfter Mega Drive. Let these greedy sods find out the hard way.

9. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

This is ironic considering EA dropping their online pass system last week.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The implication here is that all games must be paired to an account & console, which means that while the console is not always online, you must be online in order to buy a new game. Otherwise, the initial account- and console-linking for a new game would not work, and the IDing of a second-hand game would not work.

Either that, or bypassing the second-hand-game check would be as simple as disconnecting the console.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't this the same way Steam works, or can you not use your XBOX live account temporarily on a friends XBOX ?

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't buy second hand, and I don't trade in, my friends and I usually have the same catalogue of games..

I don't see how this will affect me.

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

How is this any different to how Steam works?

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Maybe they did it exactly because of this XBOX feature ? On PC it is technically irrelevant, majority of the sales are through Steam/Origin (or needs to be registered on Steam/Origin), so PC is a non-issue. XBOX side is solved by this 2nd hand market payment (majority of that fee will probably go to publisher, or it would make no sense) and i am sure they are pushing hard for PS4 to have this "feature" as well.

16. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Its pretty similar, however its completely new to consoles which is why there is uproar. Also, we dont pay £40 minimum for our titles, which will most likely become £60 dropping to £50 with next-gen releases. Meanwhile, PC users are paying £30-40 (RRP) from Steam/Origin, or £5-10 less if they buy it retail and activate on the required DD solution.

Console gamers are used to picking up a disc and handing them around freely to friends, selling them at their say-so, and they've had online passes take 1 bite out of their apple, and now MS want to take a bite. If they want to play a game at a friends house, they either need to take their console with them or log in as themselves and install it from the BD or perhaps download it. So they cant lend games to mates and have mates do the same for them, something i'd imagine is pretty common amongst student gamers, which is going to be a significant portion of users.

If they have to pay to transfer ownership, that just cuts into a return on selling it, because the buyer will want it cheaper than the shops sell it, and most games are quickly put in sales, then MS get a cut, and the seller is left with a fraction of what he paid, and less than what he sold it for.

None of this is horrific, but its just another kick in the teeth for the gamers.

I've been wondering about similar for the PS4, i have PS+ though the last 6mo ive only turned the console on to download the titles before they're gone, but im not entirely sure on the PS4's backwards compatibility, im sure i read older games can be played, but they needed to be PS4 versions, but does that mean i have to re-purchase all my disc purchases? what about PSN and PS+ digital titles? they know i own them because my account shows the purchase.

Theres some argument you wouldnt have this with Steam, but then you get it with the OS instead, trying to get older titles to work on a current OS can be a nightmare, so i suppose there is that comparison with console hardware. Sometimes, you just have to accept you cant have the latest hardware and the old games too. You either keep old hardware for old games, or accept the loss.

Tags: Add Tags