1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel updates microcode to block H87/B85 overclocking

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems a bit off that Intel is dictating what people are allowed to do with non Intel MoBo's even if they do make the chipset. Then again if your buying a K series why would you scrimp on a lower spec MoBo ?

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Sounds like a safety issue. The cheaper boards are most likely designed for stock speeds only not over volting and clocked to the hilt.

4. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

I would only consider getting a Z87 if I was going for a K-series in any case.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I find this a little disappointing. Considering how high people can overclock intel CPUs on stock voltage (or the stock heatsink), a cheap board should be able to get to at least that point. You can save a considerable bundle of cash by overclocking with a cheap board. While you might not reach the best performance, that's what you get for not buying something better. The stupid thing is with Intel's decisions, people are building a system that is overkill for their needs without overclocking to begin with. So it's either pay good money for products that don't need overclocking, or pay less money for products that do need it but can't.

But, I haven't bought an intel processor myself since I think 2005 (though I did get an intel-based netbook in 2009) so I don't really care either way.

6. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

I personally have a z series board. So this has no effect on me! Even if you get a mobo that is not a z87, with the new block in place, couldn't you just go to the manufacturers website and download an older version of the bios as a workaround? Or do you think they might tweak some of the older ones?

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Intel, party poopers of the overclocking world.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Seeing as how I'm not much of an Intel or Windows user anymore, I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think it's that simple, because I think newer versions of Windows keep the microcode up to date without warning. I'm sure it is actually possible to reverse the microcode but I guess my point is something is bound to set it to something newer again whether you like it or not.

In Linux anyway, you have to go out of your way to tell the OS to upgrade the microcode. It isn't hard but it isn't something you just simply know to do off the top of your head either.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

While Windows can update the microcode AFAIK Microsoft only do this for critical bugs, so in theory you could just use a older BIOS ROM.

I cant see this affecting many people, i mean how many people have a K series on a B85 or H87 chipset ?
    it's not like they are stopping people from OC'ing via the FSB, they are just stopping the B85 or H87 chipset from going higher than the default multi when using K series CPU's.

EDIT: some sites are even saying this is Intel fixing something that wasn't intended, a bug, all be a good one :)

Last edited: 25 Jul 2013
  10. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

The knock on effect of no competition at the top end :-/

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yup, the sad truth is that even a locked Haswell is still a better performer in both performance and power than anything AMD has unless you do a lot of multithreaded work.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Am i missing something hear then ? because AFAIK all previous K series CPU's were only supported in high end MoBo/Chipsets.
    The only reason Haswell K's could be used in B85 or H87 chipsets was because of a workaround developed by MoBo manufactures.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You could run k chips in low end boards, as far as I'm aware at least.

14. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

So I assume this only effect LGA 1150 (Haswell) chips?

15. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I wonder if Intel are getting a lot of warranty requests due to overclocking becoming so popular.

They could be trying to limit their potential replacements. Since I doubt they have a valid way to prove if a chip has been overclocked.

Besides, build a ten foot wall and someone will inevitably build an eleven foot ladder

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Intel dont make the motherboard first and foremost, Only the chipset thats on the boards is from Intel. Mobo manufactures would still have to implement this to the chipset.

The haswell K chips are not designed for the B85 and H87 chipsets last I checked most of those boards did not even support the newer chips.

Also not sure why you would buy a £40 board a £200 cpu thats like buying a ferrari and sticking some crappy tires on it.

17. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Not everyone buys a high end CPU to overclock and not everyone who would like the higher end clocks of a top end CPU need the bells and whistles which often give top end board there price tag. My Dad is one of these such users. 2600k, basic motherboard = does exactly what he wants it to :)

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I cant think of any reason to buy the more expensive unlocked CPU if you wasn't going to overclock it :confused:

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just to clarify our position on this:

1) ASUS hasn't yet received any official documentation or instruction from Intel.
    2) It's a fact that already shipping and channel products won't be affected and you can still get the unlocked BIOS from the product pages.

Last edited by a moderator: 31 Jul 2013