1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel announces Bay Trail MinnowBoard Max

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

That is the greatest news since a long time. Hope a version housnig the quad core E3845 will see the light. Been eyeing on 3.5" and Epic form-factor SBC from compagnies like Kontron but that's way more expensive.

Even the size is perfect ! My keyputer will finally comes true me think.

Edit: Just one thing .... does it have HDMI (or at least LVDS) ?

Self-Answer: It does have micro-HDMI http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, which I'm guessing is a sacrifice made to reduce the board footprint; the far larger original MinnowBoard I've got sat on my desk 'ere has a full-size HDMI port.

4. GuilleAcoustic

micro-HDMI is nice and full x86-64 will be perfect for assle-free Linux. It only lacks Power-Over-Ethernet :D

Edit: the 2x 13pins header carries I²S audio signals .... that board is god-sent !

5. Gareth Halfacree

Don't get too excited: compatibility for the original MinnowBoard was bunk, with only Intel's own Yocto-based Linux booting correctly thanks to an esoteric 32-bit UEFI implementation. Sure, you could download board support packages and roll your own - but compared to the Gizmo, which just booted whatever Linux distro I threw at its USB ports, no questions asked - it was a nightmare.

Now the MinnowBoard Max is 64-bit, so it *may* be more Gizmo-like in its approach - but I'd certainly wait for a review before assuming you can stick Ubuntu or the like on there.

6. GuilleAcoustic

Sure, I never buy without reading several reviews :). I still can save for a small SBC from Kontron or the likes.