1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One Ad Messing With Voice Recognition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Pistol Puppy, 16 Jun 2014.

1. Pistol Puppy

Pistol Puppy What's a Dremel?

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I guess they could fix it by mixing in an audio fingerprint so the Xbox knows to ignore those commands. But that would require some work and make the adverts sound as if to get it the Xbox to work you have to time your voice commands with your best buddy R2-D2.

A non audible / higher / lower frequency fingerprint would never be reliable to work across different systems.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I also read reports of players in online games naming them selves things like "Xbox Turn Off" and "Xbox Sign Out" then griefing other players until they rage and shout the players name, only to have their console turn its self off, or log out.

Have to say when i read about this it made me chuckle. :D

4. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Id seen this report before, has anyone actually got first hand experience of this happening? Ive seen the advert 3-4 times over the weekend and none of the times did my xbox responded to it

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Kinect isn't attached to ours so nope doesn't work

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Turn the volume up, maybe the people reporting it are a bit deaf.

7. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

It was only a matter of time untill something like this happened! I wish they'd put in other commands too now.. Would be brilliant!
    Imagine this scenario:

Aaron Paul is watching Sky on the HDMI passthrough. "Xbox On" then "Xbox switch" or whatever the command is to switch off the passthrough and go to Xbox.. Now you no longer get to watch the rest of the advert! :hehe:

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

actually - its a case of those people who are to LAZY to actually go though the day 1 training of Kinect - as it says in the manual....

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Inaudible fingerprinting is surprisingly effective. You could even have the figerprinting recognise the music in the background of the ad.

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

No issues with mine, barely picks up my own voice, so i should be fine.

Sam

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

My Kinect is surprisingly responsive, even with really low volume levels coming from my pie hole and sitting on the other end of the room. I've not noticed it though as I have my TB X12's plugged into the tele. I would try it out but my tele decided it has headphones plugged in permanently, even when there aren't any in the socket.

12. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Same, funnily enough I tend to talk louder when I want to get the xbox's attention but I dont actually need to, it picks up my voice well enough and responds whenever you mention xbox in a conversation (i.e. when its on and you say xbox), but it doesn't react to this TV advert so im pretty dubious this is infact true unless someone shows proof.

Its a funny story tho, probably why all the press believed it

Tags: Add Tags