News Seagate ships first 8TB hard drives

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

That is a hell of a lot of storage from the least reliable manufacturer of the lot. I don't think I'll be trusting them any time soon.

3. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

Well, this is where it starts. First generations are always buggy and expensive. Pretty soon R&D costs are recouped, cost goes down, and wrinkles are ironed out.

I don't mind just JBOD'ing two 4TB together. My big thing is I really need a 4TB portable hard drive. Can't wait for that.

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Sorry dstarr3 but I found it funny that you NEED a 4TB portable drive, although I know I have know idea what you do. I just found it funny. :)
    If you need that amount of data though is it really that much of a problem to use a standard HDD with an enclosure?

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

While HDDs are a bit old tech-y these days, and bleeding edge storage capacities have never made much sense,
    I still can't help but be impressed that double figures TBs on a single 3.5" disk are almost here.
    I remember being impressed when they first hit double figures GBs :)

Last edited: 22 Jul 2014
  6. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Not big enough. Think I'll hold off and wait for 15TB drives to become mainstream. I want a 120TB RAID 6 array. Should be able to fit my torrent download collection on that :)

</wit>

Seriously though, I am waiting for 8 or 10TB drives to go mainstream. RAID 5 sounds tempting when drives are big enough to not fill in a year!

7. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

The only significant issue I can see with disks of such a large capacity without great read/write numbers is that if a disk fails in your raid, it'll take two days(!) to repopulate the replacement.

8. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Don't read/write speeds increase as the data density increases? I know it's nothing like SSD speeds, but the "data rate" should increase for the same spindle rotation speed?

9. kHAn_au

kHAn_au What's a Dremel?

yes, sequential data rates can increase with areal density. seek time could be improved with a finer track pitch also. Worst case seek times won't change obviously- still 7200 rpm.

I run a few big raid 6's- >100TB. Some are over 150TB too. The IOPS density I need even from NL-SAS is only barely there at 2TB per disk.

Anyone seen if there have been any major changes in the mean time between uncorrectable bit error figures? I haven't looked into that in a while. At 8TB I'd be concerned about even getting a RAID 6 recovered with more than a handful of spindles in a RAID set.

10. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

As a professional photographer, my 2TB portable is full and I need the ability to move all my photos around wherever I need them. Because I don't want to have to think about what photos I need to have on me any given day. If I can just have all of them on me all the time, my life is simpler. And unfortunately, a 2TB portable isn't enough anymore. So a 4TB portable would be a welcome device.