1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Frontier announces Elite: Dangerous launch date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Nov 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well, they can arbitrarily call it launched whenever they want!

As we discovered with things like Mechwarrior Online, whether a game is technically reliable, or, for that matter, fun, is another issue.

3. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

One of the few kickstarters I wish I had backed at launch. I'm feeling immensely jealous of those of you who were able to get it for £20 as an early backer - and good on you too!

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I didn't want to play it without a Rift, but I'm not buying the Rift until the release version and I doubt I could wait a year or more to play this game.

5. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I hear you.

Whilst I am looking forward to this game I was surprised to see it launch.

I have been following its progress on channels such as Scott Manleys and it does not look ready to go to me.

I am also a huge Mechwarrior Online player. That game has only just started to win its community back and has still not released its major promised feature a full year after its official release.

I hope we do not see similar problems for Elite.

6. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Backed this at launch, not really followed it since so as not to spoil the feeling of when I first get to play it - I actually break up for the year on 16th December, so the timing is impeccable :) Really looking forward to this game.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Elite like Star Citi has massive hype wether it will hit those hypes we shall see.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Totally different dev teams. Frontier release HUGE updates every month (check out the patch notes, they are about 5 pages long!). They are working with their own engine, and at hugely impressive pace. Basically PGI and Frontier couldn’t be less alike. That does not mean that it’ll be 100% feature complete at launch, but there’s good reason to have a lot more faith in Frontier than we should have in PGI.

That aside: MWO has come on massively since the departure of their Infinite, their Publisher. Really good mech sales (for MC and Cbills), genuinely good balance changes, better comms and sought after features (CW etc). It’s not perfect, of course, but the future is most definitely bright.

Anyway, add me on MWO – Penderyn – we’ll hook up in a Lance and melt some robots.

Elite doesn't really have much hype at all compared to most games....

9. rollo

rollo Modder

You should see there official forums the Hype is huge.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Obviously - because these are the main fans. Among the general gaming population, its barely cracked the surface.