1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD goes FreeSync-heavy at CES

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Would free-sync work for the PS4 and Xbox One given they're "AMD Inside" ;)

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

That would be nice, but nope :(

4. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Damn, I thought FreeSync was an open standard, not 'AMD'-Sync to 'Nvidia'-Sync :( So the difference here is theres no licensing fee for its implementation into monitors, which is why its an easier decision for a monitor manufacturer.

G-Sync monitors & nvidia card fanboyism
    Freesync monitors & AMD card fanboyism
    Regular monitors @ 60+fps & whatever GPU you want to buy.

Consider me unimpressed again. Better image quality but forced brand loyalty, or heavier loads and whatever is the best offering on the market at the time. Over 2 decades I've almost exclusively bought AMD/ATI (plus 1-2 nvidia, a 3DFX, 2x Matrox), but stuff like this still stinks, free or not. Doesnt help that i'd assumed it was completely open, not another hardware dependant feature. Should have known i guess.

5. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I read this and thought it could be a possibility, unless you're aware of any system limitations.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It is, the problem is Nvidia have said there not going to support it and i don't think Intel will either unless FreeSync take of in a big way. You can have open standards all you like but if only one company supports that standard it may as well be vendor specific.

7. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Thanks, the AMD FAQ made it sound differently, like it HAD to be an AMD card ("users will require: a monitor compatible with DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, a compatible AMD Radeon™​ GPU with a DisplayPort connection, and a compatible AMD Catalyst™ graphics driver. "), but i guess that you're explanation is correct and its simply a matter of others cards not supporting it, so only by elimination is it AMD only.

I wonder if theres something about it which puts the others off supporting it, such as some form of placement of an AMD logo, or at least recognition on their technology, needing to be in small print somewhere. G-Sync is a great idea, but with a license free alternative, its an inferior option for a display manufacturer, and the consumer if they've got to pay for that license with interest... assuming both achieve the same effect equally at least (AMD, unsurprisingly, are suggesting theirs has less overhead requirements too).

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

[​IMG]

I know AMD have hardly done it out the the kindness of their heart, but assuming performance is similar I hope freesync (being open and presumably cheaper to implement) proliferates and the monitor market forces nVidia into supporting it.

It would be annoying being locked into a brand by the monitor you buy (something I think people tend to upgrade less often than their GPU) and you can hardly see AMD paying nVidia to use G-Sync.

9. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Hmmm, it's perhaps possible. My thinking was more that the use of older gen HDMI ports on the consoles would be the limit. AFAIK you need the latest DisplayPort standard for FreeSync, I've not heard of it being done over HDMI. This is testing the limits of my knowledge, but I feel AMD would have made mention of it. Maybe in future slimline consoles where the connectors are updated? It would certainly be a good idea!