1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB and mSATA 1TB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 31 Mar 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

As good as these may be, the data slow downs that affect the 840 EVO have left a dark cloud hanging overhead. The last I had heard was that the 850 EVOs were as yet unaffected but that was suggested to be down to the lack of time that they had been around and that the issue may still pop up. It has also been reported that even after the firmware update (that Magician failed to handle and had to be implemented manually via specific firmware software), 840 EVOs have once again been affected. This all leaves it very difficult to trust/rely on Samsung's SSDs for long term use... no matter how good they may be when new.

3. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

could of you not tested some in the the mSATA in the M.2 system just to rule it out

the OCZ arc 100 has Very good low latency and consistently not below 19000 IO (not the fastest on data speeds but latency is very consistent and important for servers that need consistency in latency under high write conditions)

Last edited: 31 Mar 2015
  4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I've been using a 250gb 850 pro since last summer. I tested it again last month to see if there was any change in speed from when I first got it and it was just the same more or less, just a few digits out here and there (up & down) which I put down to having more data on the drive.

I for one haven't heard of or seen any reports of the 850 evo or pro having the same problems as the 840 had.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I was interested in the M.2 one, until I remembered my mobo will only take a "2242" sized one (in a daughter board).

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Ok..they need to start styling these things better... because I'm not planting an ugly green PCB slap bang in the middle of my lovely red & black Asus Hero motherboard.

The fact that it will be completely obscured by my GPU is neither here nor there..I will still know what ugliness lies beneath. :)

EDIT:

Actually on inspecting my mobo it appears that the M2 socket is NOT obscured by my GPU!!!!

No..just no.

7. SchizoFrog

I've thought the same, surely they can fit a thin aluminium shroud on it?

8. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

I just ordered one for my lovely new Alienware 15.

(stands back and waits for the 'why did you buy Alienware' abuse)

9. SchizoFrog

With posts like that, I think you like the attention. :)

10. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

I've been around long enough to know when a forum is about to turn nasty...

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Alienware make some of the very best gaming laptops in the business, you've got nothing to worry about.

12. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I think the Alienware rage is only for when someone spends all that money on a desktop they could build better and far cheaper themselves. With a laptop it's different. As for this SSD, I will get something like this for Star Citizen in a few years when it's £10.

13. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

I know, I never really considered buying one, but my current laptop was 7 years old. I saw a 15" Alienware on Dell Outlet for £274 including VAT and delivery. No further specs beyond 16GB RAM and 1TB HDD were provided. I figured it had to be worth a punt - turned out to be i7-4710HQ, 970m 3GB, 16GB RAM and 1TB HDD. A total bargain and not one I can image being repeated any time soon.

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

thats a stupid bargin, not for one to top it, i got a lenovo workstation (with the lock keys :) ) 6 core Xeon with HT (i7 1st gen tripple DDR3) only had a 2GB ECC module (i assume the other 2 was taken out) and a 250GB deathstar (sorry deskstar) :) and the 9500GT video card had a partly blown cap (still worked) and has a windows 7 Pro key on the box, all for £100 lol (think the CPU is still worth more than £100)

person selling it thought it was a i7 quad core, but when i could not count how many threads was in task manager i snapped it right off him for that price (TBO i think he was going to sell it for £200 je did give it me at cost, as i removed a bunch of boot up passwords and loaded OSX on macs that was doing his head in)

filled the thing with 3x4GB (none ECC at the moment but not really needed) and a SSD and a Quadro card (graphics system) probably spent extra £180 on it (ram £60 SSD £80 quadro £40), still need to get a monitor (the one he's got at the moment has only got VGA and seems that someone has replaced the LCD screen with a incorrect one as native screen res is pixilated)

the mad thing is that system is basicly what is in my sig (forums) but all for £280 (with added extras) i probably spent over £1400 on my system (i really should just by 2 generations old stuff, i not upgraded for some time now thought my GTX480 died on me the GTX 660 is faster then it now and uses way less power)

Last edited: 3 Apr 2015
  15. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

Very nice deal - I imaging it shifts nicely.

16. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

Samsung Magician isn't recognising my M.2 drive. Does anybody know if this is a known issue?

Tags: Add Tags