1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Wargaming.net League Grand Finals 2015

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 29 Apr 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

What's with the "booth" type girls lining the runway? Embarassing. And we wonder why there are so few girls in tech.

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I know. I really wish companies would stop doing this sort of thing. It's even worse in my experience at Asian trade shows like Computex.

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

+1

i find it very tacky and degrading

i dont mind going to a booth if im interested in the product and can talk to someone that ACUALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT !!! but most of the time its bimbo's that are simply there to look pretty ( most are very clearly models hired in )

but if it keeps pulling in the crowds, companies will keep doing it

Last edited: 30 Apr 2015
  5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

'Bimbos' gotta work to eat too... I find it interesting and more than a little annoying that so few ever talk from the perspective that at least some of these girls actually choose this as a line of work or even as a career or, if they ever do, then the girls must have been 'duped' or 'educated' to perpetuate exploitation. Just because you as an individual find a certain job degrading doesn't mean that others may actually like what they do, you have every right to NOT do it... but why should your standards mean that they can't?

Oh well... just another example of the oxymoron nature of concepts such as 'freedom' or 'equality'.

6. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I dont think anyones saying they're not allowed to do it, but clearly from the perspective of the people who are interested in what they've come to see, and not the eye candy, its annoying and embarrassing.

I could want to go dressed up in a bikini and be a booth babe too, doesnt mean its appropriate or the service i'd give would be worth a damn, but hey... equality says i can, therefore everyones opinion that its pointless me being there is null & void - right?

If they were educated in the subject, to the point where they were helpful, i dont think anyone would be too fussed. However the fact that its a degrading trade, based upon sex/lust and weak minded customers who'll show interest based on scantily clad women, is pathetic. The combination of the 2 is what i suspect bothers people. I certainly think its pathetic on both counts.

7. SchizoFrog

I disagree and this sentence sums up most of what I disagree with. I don't agree that it is inherently 'degrading'. I do agree that there are aspects to the business that can be degrading but I believe those very aspects can be applied to many other employment environments, such as the old school 'Secretary' position for example but that doesn't mean that the business of Administration is 'dirty'. Body builders, both male and female aspire to a physical, aesthetic perfection and their bodies are looked upon by many with admiration and as an inspiration. Clean out the abuse within the industry (which I completely agree with) and what is left to be 'degrading'? Just the fact that it is possibly out of context with regards to the subject matter of the event? I know plenty who believe working for McDonald's is degrading, or cleaning toilets, or sweeping the roads... I don't. I believe expecting others to do your dirty work because it is beneath you to do it yourself is where the problem lies. I found it degrading working in retail and constantly being nagged to sign customers up for credit cards, warranties or services whether they wanted them or not was degrading and was the main reason for me to leave the retail industry, leaving me currently unemployed and periodically having my benfits suspended because I refuse to work in retail.

As for 'weak minded customers who'll show interest based on...' you just described any and every form of marketing. Scantily clad women no more cause me to buy products any more than many other forms of marketing does. I have no desire to use 'comparethemarket.com' just to obtain a soft toy Meerkat.
    I also believe that there is no difference from the use of these women as a marketing tool to invoke a positive emotion for potential customers to them having the opposite effect and having them cause a negative emotion in those who feel the way you do. Either way you are judging these women, or at least their employed use, based solely on your emotional stand point. Like I said, some women choose for positive reasons to work as a model in this sort of environment and they love their jobs... why should you deem it 'annoying', 'embarrassing', 'pathetic' and 'degrading'?

I admit I find it very difficult to agree with most others on issues of sexism and objectification. I think mainly because I don't understand where the original arguments come from as it always seems to stem from a perspective that objects don't gain or even warrant care and respect. Where as I treat my objects, things, possessions with care and respect. Do I treat the women in my life as my possessions? Of course not (those women that I am lucky enough to have in my life are worth far more than I could ever afford) but then I treat my possessions with far more care and respect than I see most people treating each other, regardless of whether they are male or female.

8. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

I didn't watch the finals this year, weren't they using their usual female shoutcaster?

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

what annoys me about 'booth babes'' is very simple, they know nothing of the product they are supposed to be marketing

this only reinforces the stereotype of 'uneducated bimbo hired to stand and look pretty' id 10x prefer to talk to a tubby middle aged bloke who knows what he is talking about than a bimbo who barely even knows the product specifications that are clearly laid out in front of her.

as for PaulC2K going in a bikini, i think you should go for it mate, then when / if security throws you out, call them out on their double standards

10. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Way to go off topic. It's a championship and these are not "booth babes", they are just models. It's pretty common in competitions to have hostesses. Ever watched podiums in cycling and Formula 1 to name a few?

I share the hatred for booth babes (which these don't seem to be) because it assumes that because I like computers (or motorbikes, same problem) I am assumed to also be an idiot that can be drawn cheaply by scantily clad women. It's patronising to men rather than objectifying women.

11. SchizoFrog

THIS is what annoys me. Just because a woman is beautiful and is hired purely for aesthetic purposes why is it deemed that they are 'uneducated' or a 'bimbo'? Many young women use modelling jobs such as this as ways to pay for their education.
    My anger is not directed at the organisers who hire these people and often pay them far more than I will ever earn and do not abuse, manipulate or degrade them in any way, but at those who choose to look upon them in such a negative and degrading manner because of your own interpretation and then blame someone else for it. Take responsibility for YOURSELF, if YOU THINK they are uneducated, bimbos, sort your own head out.

12. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Im officially calling it - Schizo is a booth bab, here attempting to educate him/herself for the next computer expo ;)

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You are really pushing for mankini thread 2015, aren't you?

14. SchizoFrog

*Checks inside underwear*

Yep, definitely a him... :)

...and just think, this article interested me not in the slightest until I read the comments.

Tags: Add Tags