1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hex Gear R40 Preview Build

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 25 Jun 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Interesting case... the accent packs seem quite similar to Parvum's swappable acrylic accents.

The overall look is quite nice, and the flat-pack/DIY approach is welcome. Would have liked to see it be smaller though- pushing the mATX limits rather than moving towards ATX size. I understand the need to balance air/water-cooling ability with practicality but I think there has recently been a trend towards ever smaller cases.

The quality looks great, but I find the price a sticking point. It's a pretty expensive case, and given the custom modifications Parvum can do if you e-mail them, or other crowd-sourced projects like the NCase M1 built by Lian-Li for almost half the price... the R40 will be a tough sell.

My statements are in no way meant to devalue the or under-appreciate the effort that's gone into the R40... but that price... you're well into Case Labs price territory but without the customisation and that's going to be a hard sell.

3. Combatus

I think the price is mainly down to the materials and the design. It's much more intricate than Parvum cases and acrylic isn't for everyone although personally I love their stuff too. In the flesh this thing oozes solidness and precision but agreed it is pretty large.

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

I accept your point re: quality and intricacy (particularly in relation to use of aluminum rather than acrylic) and I think it's great to see more UK businesses in the case market. But I think the price is still the key issue- the NCase M1 is beautifully crafted from aluminum as well (and made by Lian-Li) and is nearly half the price. There are also Case Labs chassis for less than the R40 and then there's the upcoming Dan A4 (which I believe will also be made by Lian-Li).

5. Combatus

The M1 is nice but it's basically a shell with a few panels plus it's mini-ITX and very limited PSU space, whereas the R40 is micro-ATX and has no issues with space you can fit a shedload more stuff inside, not least of all dual GPUs - it's literally half the case so not surprised it's half the price ;) Actually, that's probably a bit harsh - it's just a totally different - the R40 isn't designed to be small, the M1 is and they're different form factors so you can't really compare them - yes they're both made from aluminium but that's about it. Case Labs do indeed make some nice cases but they have nothing on the looks of the R40. They're functional and quite refined but for aesthetics I'd pick the R40 any day.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's a great rig. The price is understandable since they are still in the early stages and there's probably a lot of stuff like powder coating that needs to be done by a 2nd party.

7. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

The price might seem high until you think about what you are getting , what its made from and the quality of that material. I own a fair few cases , CaseLabs being one of them several Lian Li,s ,TJ07's and for me the quality of case material and finish in the price from £100- £200 go's off the mark a little bit with the cases you can buy as you are not getting much more than what you get sub £100 so yes the price is close to CaseLabs if you are in a country where you can buy one without import duties and a heavy shipping fee.

So this case gives you so much more than a NCase M1 as Combatus said but there is very little that can even touch the quality of these unless you do spend at least another £200 and import a CaseLabs . As for custom panels etc these options are on the site now and I am certain that over the weeks ahead that you will be able to have all kinds of custom stuff done. Oh yes I do own 2 of these cases and they are worth every penny!

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Great looking case. Even if they don't have a mITX version available any time soon, this looks more than easy enough to cut down (although I'd be a bit hesitant hacking up a brand new 200GBP case!)

Earmarked for my upcoming build.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Most are forgetting that this case will last you a century or more.

For example my Lian-Li PC70 case I bought in 2002. It was 250 Euro at the time. And while I am typing away it stands besides me. It has been on several LAN party's across the country and moved with me to a new house and some rooms.. Components inside where replaced over the time. But the case stayed and also the water-cooling it contains. Now I think about it, it is running for over a century from the same Eheim pump 24/7. Wow that is reliability!

My point is if you buy a good case you will enjoy it for a long time. The HG R40 seems to be a case that will last you a live time.

Tags: Add Tags