1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Review: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 4 Sep 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Just about the most overrated franchise in video game history.

Cut scenes looking for a game.

3. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Read the review buddy, it's a whole new ball game. Very few cutscenes after the first hour.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Also, some people have different tastes.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I have to admit that a score of 95% smacks of a personal preference and also seems to reflect the emotions raised by the history of the franchise rather than a game in it's independent right, so I shall take the score with a pinch of salt... (or maybe enough salt to cause a heart attack... who knows?) :)

I shall however, mark the game as one to look at properly in due time.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Looking forward to settling into this this weekend. Ground Zeroes blew me away and this is wayyy bigger.

7. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Just started playing MGS1 this week. I might need a while.... but good to see the finale has been well received.

8. gosh

gosh Minimodder

love to see a pc technical/controls review, not sure if my 750ti/g3258 setup could handle this - plays witcher 3 but this just looks amazing (and runs at 60fps)

9. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Reviews are all personal preference, right?

Regardless, if you think I'm only scoring it highly because of my love for the franchise you'll be conning yourself out of the best action game I've played all year.

@Gosh - This review was on the PS4, sorry! There are PC specific reviews out there that might serve your purpose better, but it could be a good excuse to test out steams refund feature if you want to test a specific hardware set-up.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I though I was the only one who though this.

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

That is where I have to disagree. While reviewing things like games I understand that it is hard to remove personal preferences and bias but I believe that it should be attempted none the less, otherwise how do I judge any game to be good or not? Is it genuinely good or only that you like it? Is it genuinely a bad game or that you don't like it?

The waters get even muddier when you then factor in the various genres of games. For example, if you like 1st/3rd person action games but loath sports games and you score games accordingly, how am I supposed to judge between them? You could score a bad action game as 80% while scoring a very good sports game with the same 80% or even less. This situation would then not only be unfair but also thoroughly uninformative regarding the actual game and isn't that what reviews are for, to be informative?

As a reader I should be able to read a review without having to understand the personal preferences of the one writing it.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2015
  12. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

But how do you decide what is a very good sports game without opinion? In video games especially, terms like good and bad are subjective rather than objective.

I'm also entirely capable of divorcing any feelings I may have for the rest of the series from a review (in this case I loved MGS 1 back in 1998 but didn't like the rest). I judge each game based on its own merits, but this positivity for MGS 5 is reflected at pretty much every game site. It's a /very/ good game and the highest I've ever scored.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2015
  13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

"Scores" for games are ALWAYS going to be entirely subjective. There is no way to objectively give a game a rating (out of 5, 10, 100 or whatever). That's why you need to ignore the scores entirely and read the content of reviews instead, and why you need to read as many reviews as possible. Ignore the scores!

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Its a great game, and I'm still impressed with the fox engine. It runs like a dream on my rig with everything turned on. Its delicious.

Although I do kinda miss the cutscenes, but then again, I'm the sadist that watches all six hours of mgsiv cutscenes in one sitting.

15. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Total Biscuit has done a Port Report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAq9YU2FhIM

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Double post

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Its a good game is it a great game as the review scores indicate only time will tell. From what ive played of it. The open world nature of the game can penalise you at times. If you kill everything that moves you will not get as good research for example. If you capture everyone you get more army ect.

It ends a story and will likely be the last Metal Gear Game ever made. For fans of the series its the end of the road. Problem is you will never be able to play that entire story on one system.

As far as the port is concerned it lacks AA is a big negative in todays games. Which will help with performance and is why most systems on the market can easily run it at max settings. Accept a few scenes mostly with Dust that struggle to render for some reason at decent fps.

Good Port Good game. Best game ive played this year no ( GTA 5 on pc is better )

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

How does having a shower inspire your troops?

19. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I find it a little disturbing that nobody within the industry seems to have any beef with the PC pricing of this game. As it is now, I can buy the Day 1 PS4 version of this from Amazon UK for £40. The Steam version of this is £45.99. If you buy a physical PC copy you just get a DVD with an 8MB exe file for Steam and a download code.

Now, let's just think for a second. On console games a big chunk of the price you pay is MS or Sony's licensing fee. A fee which doesn't apply to PC games. Not only that, but we're talking about a title that for all intents and purposes has no physical release on the PC platform because that exe on DVD is a complete joke. So they've produced that for the sole purpose of allowing brick and mortar retail outlets to have something to physically sell.

Why then, as a PC gamer, should I be expected to for out an additional £6 on top of the console game price? It would be bad enough to have price parity, because even then Konami are blatantly creaming the difference as profit from the lack of a licensing fee.

This is disgusting and is blatant profiteering, particularly when there is no added incentive to purchase the PC version. What do we get for our extra money? Nothing. It's not a bad port, but it IS a port. It runs faster and in higher res than consoles, but those are virtues of it running on more powerful hardware. They've not added better textures or effects or more content, it's just a straight port. And we're lapping this up? Sod that. I'm waiting until its in a Steam sale or I'll just buy the PS4 version off eBay and make sure Konami get nothing from it. The greedy *******s.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Price of PC games in general have gone up a lot in the last year or so. More so if you only buy off steam. You could pick up this game for under £25 if you look around. It's all I paid personally.

Konami have left games behind so Dout they will care either way.

Tags: Add Tags