1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Make ghosts with shells in Nexon's forthcoming Ghost In The Shell FPS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 18 Sep 2015.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Last edited: 18 Sep 2015
  2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

better than saying "You are the missing link Jake"

You are missing the link Jake

3. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Yup, all good! My internet went down at a really inopportune moment there! :)

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Sadly, it's just Combat Arms with some different skins. If you're a Stand Alone Complex fan, there's very little for you here once you've seen some screenshots.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oddly enough, I said something similar to a friend of mine as we watched the trailer, completely unimpressed.

First person shooters aren't really games, anymore. You just licence an engine, licence a franchise background for it, and licence a pounding piece of popular music. All you have to do is the character skins and the environments. Genericism is the new black.

6. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Why cant we have something like Dues Ex but set in the Ghost in the shell universe? A standard team shooter trope is kinda the opposite of what ghost in the shell is like.

Heck ghost in the shell and dues ex even share some of the some philosophical issues.

7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I assume that's true for fans of other flavors of Ghost too.
    Oh well.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well, that's sort of the issue. It would just be Deus Ex, with a purple-haired girl.

Nevertheless, I would like the record to show that I'm very ready to play Deus in the Shell.

P

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Deus Ex with a Ghost in the Shell skin wouldn't work. Deus Ex is very much traditional Cyberpunk (one man against The Man, the World, and everyone else. set in a dystopia on the brink of collapse), whereas Ghost in the Shell is firmly post-cyberpunk; the main characters ARE The Man, the world is neither a dystopia or utopia but simply has a new set of problems to deal with as well as the old ones (crime, corruption, etc).

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I'm not very knowledgeable about Ghost in the Shell (although I have seen the japanimation for it) but to me that video posted by Jake looks like a cross between Call of Duty and EA's recent ish terrible Syndicate remake abomination.

Even with my lack of knowledge, this seems a wasted opportunity.

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

That Syndicate game wasn't a remake. I mean, for it to be a remake, I'm pretty sure it would have to at least be related to the original. The 2012 game titled Syndicate was EA saying "Hey, do we have anything like Deus Ex? Look, it doesn't have to be close, just find me a cyberpunk title to slap on this thing."

It was really more an insult than a remake.

Tags: Add Tags