News Schafer returns to crowd-funding for Psychonauts sequel

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Dec 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Stop pinching my headlines! :D

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Was just perusing the investment page. The default value the calculator uses for average wholesale price is $21. Given that about 43% of the original game's sales were Humble Bundle, I wonder what the average wholesale price for that game turned out to be. Funnily enough they don't seem to mention that anywhere. Drop the average wholesale price to $10 and the sequel has to do almost as well, sales wise, as the original just for the investor to break even.

I shan't be investing; I'm out.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Huh?

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Sorry, but as much as I'd like a sequel to Psychonauts... Schafer won't be getting one penny out of me before it's 100% completed and launched and several months have passed for bugs to be patched. There aren't many indie or Greenlight games that have burnt me (actually, I can only think of three, not including one that I thought was utterly, shockingly poor, despite being raved about by almost everyone else...) but Shafer has his fingers in two of them: Broken Age and Spacebase DF-9. Massive Chalice was just about in an acceptable state by the time I bought it (after it was released) but still missed the mark for me.

I have fond memories of the old LucasArts adventures... but my enthusiasm has slipped and natural scepticism has returned.

It's the same reason I didn't jump into Elite: Dangerous or Star Citizen... as much as I want a massive space combat game again... feature creep, missed deadlines and broken promises have too much chance of happening.

6. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Your complaints about DF9 I get completely, but personally I don't recall any significant bugs or general instability when Broken Age launched, nor any broken promises from its Kickstarter.

I'm glad I didn't spend any money on Spacebase DF-9, but for Broken Age I'm very glad I did. I think I got far more than my money's worth (especially the documentary). More Psychonauts sounds great to me, and the team they've assembled looks more than capable (Erik Wolpaw, Peter Chan, Peter McConnell,... a real dream team), so I'm confident that if it gets funded this campaign will be a success too. I'm in. :D