1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows update breaks PowerShell functionality

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Aug 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Really inspiring confidence in you all-or-nothing approach to updates there Microsoft, well done...

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Exactly what I was thinking...

Microsoft... you make Office for Mac, and for Android... why not for Linux? :sigh:

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Windows is starting to remind me of that classic 1980's film The Money Pit, things breaking and falling apart all over the place, worried about what's going to go wrong next, and an ever growing list of things that need fixing.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'Cos Linux on the desktop terrifies Microsoft. They've already conceded the server market (which is why they're porting things like PowerShell to Linux and offering full Linux support on Azure, otherwise they become pretty much redundant) and never made it into the phone market, so if desktop falls then Windows is dun.

That'll never happen, of course, and making sure that Office isn't officially supported is a big part of that. This is also the reason it took Microsoft so long to support the Open Document Format (ODF): knowing that the ability to open and save ODFs would make it easier for users to switch from Office to third-party alternatives like LibreOffice, Microsoft instead implemented its own 'open' standard: Office Open XML. Thankfully, these days Office does a bang-up job of working with ODFs, and LibreOffice can do the same for OOXML. Ain't interoperability grand?

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My install died the other day soon after the anniversary update. I actually thought at first that my SSD had died, but it turned out it was just badly screwed up. Thankfully I could access system restore and she's been fine since.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

We live in strange times so you never know, Windows has after all been losing market share in the desktop arena of late, having said that it's such a small drop we'll probably be living on Proxima b before Windows falls. :D

8. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Imagine that, on Proxima b with 11 days a year, "Erm a new update to correct the problem will be in 2 years" "2 years!! Can't wait that long, make it a year"

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I don't think it's really terrifying Microsoft, as they have just started porting MSSQL to linux. MS is quite smart now compared before (balmer really messed it up). Microsoft is back to focusing on their roots, as a software provider. Windows is not actually Microsoft's cash engine, it is its enterprise and business products. get those out to every platform then you have a cash engine. the only reason I can't think of why it hasn't happened yet is the small number of users on linux compared to mobile and osx. end of the day it's still about demand.

On the updates part. I'm pretty sure the issue with microsoft is how fast they are trying to push updates, they should wait for more time before releasing. soak it more in testing. well that is agile development for you ;)

10. Gareth Halfacree

That's a server move, not a desktop move. Like I said, Microsoft has already ceded the server market.

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Yeah, we're >95% linux servers now. Main things holding us back are MS DCs and one CMS application.

That said, I think we have a near even split on desktops Linux/OSX/Windows on our floor...

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Question is would everything else Microsoft do/did/does be as successful without Windows?

It's a serious question as I've seen people mention how Windows isn't a big cash earner and i don't disagree with that, however isn't much of what Microsoft do dependent on Windows, i seem to remember, maybe gates, saying something about once people are using Windows they're more likely to use other Microsoft products, i wonder how much of that holds true today, is Windows no longer seen as a core product.