1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD confirms early 2017 launch for Vega GPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Aug 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I thought the October card was the 490, which was a dual 480? I assumed AMD would give them names and had heard rumours they were going to use the Rage branding for Vega?

God knows.

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Oh well, I guess the 1080Ti just got bumped until next year as well now.

..Thanks AMD, you're nothing if not consistent in giving Nvidia and Intel a free ride.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Speaking of dual GPU cards, I wonder if they'll make a come back this generation. Yeah, there was the Pro Duo, but it was released without any fanfare and I haven't seen any in the wild.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

490 as a dual 480? Where'd you hear that from? Whenever AMD does a dual GPU, they would call it something like "490X2". Nvidia is the one that reserves their "90s" for their dual-GPU setups.

I doubt AMD will be making a dual-GPU card any time soon. I think they realized that people just don't care much for them.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Not true, there was the 3850x2, 3870x2, 4870x2, 5970, 6990,7990, 8990 though we can discard this, 290x2, fury pro duo.

It's a shame vega is taking so long. I hope it doesn't offer 1080 performance, needs to be hitting titan x or better and i cant see it.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Firstly if you looked on AMD's site at the right time you would see the 490 listed as a card.

Then when Alienware were being interviewed about their graphics amplifier (external thing) the head guy at Alienware said "Yes, you can just shove a 490 in there ".

Then a couple of months back Harlequin or Bindi posted a link that showed that AMD had ordered a few PCBs. One of them looked like a dual socket PCB...

I know all of the above is rumor (and some of it folklore) but I assumed AMD would do a budget dual chip card.

I guess with DX12 being as bad as it is right now they're not going to bother? who knows?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Well Vulcan does not do multi gpu, and dx12 multi gpu support is close to none existant. Why bother making something that would be slower than the 480 in a lot of scenarios.

Duel gpu cards always show 3D Mark before any real performance figures as it shows them in best light with 100% scaling. Then you get them in a game and you can have the figure in the negative.

My 5990 was my last duel gpu card never again lol.

Early 2017 is Jan to March? AMD misses the main hardware window again.

9. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I'd be interested to see what those rumored upgrade packages will be like for cost.. For me, the big part of the AMD ecosystem that is behind is the motherboards! So with the new chipset, cpu's and gpu's hopefully there's going to be some better AMD motherboards!

10. eachus

eachus What's a Dremel?

AFAIK, the Vega delay has nothing to do with the chip, and everything to do with HBM2. If you are going to go with 8 Gig of HBM2, there are two possible configurations: 2 four-high stacks, or 4 two-high stacks. In theory the later comes with twice the bandwidth. I expected AMD to announce 16 Gig cards for the professional market this year--and maybe they just did that. But my guess is that AMD thinks they need the performance of 4 two-high stacks to compete with the 1080.

So now we look at the suppliers. Right now they are providing 4 high stacks only, so which choice do you make? AMD apparently decided that they were increasing their share of the GPU card market with Polaris, so they decided to wait. (Also note that AMD sees the way forward as APUs, and there will be some next year with Zen CPUs and Polaris or Vega GPUs all on a single interposer, or in some cases, a single chip.)