1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 500 million accounts hit in Yahoo data breach

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Change your password because of a security breach that happened two years ago, you couldn't make this stuff up. :)

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Funnily enough, I knew something had happened before Yahoo made the official announcement: when I logged on to Flickr on my laptop the other day it immediately made me change my password, but didn't say anything about it being because of a breach.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I changed mine in May, on a regular/irregular cycle, hope it's OK. This happened 2 years ago, and they're telling us now - really?

5. Gareth Halfacree

They only found out about it now, which is why they're only telling us about it now.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

How do you find out about a breach that happened two years ago? You run into some bloke selling the dump on the black market?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Aye. That's exactly what happened with the breach 'ere: a forum user had been looking into securing his online accounts, found a website which sold access to a number of leaked databases, and which held a copy of the bit-tech user database. He told The Powers That Be, and The Powers That Be told the users the very next day after making sure they had secured everything and that they understood how the attacker got in and what s/he had taken.

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks, now I see...
    State involvement...not good

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Between the Americans, the Chinese, the Russians, us Brits and the rest of the world I expect state run mass hacking of private information to become the norm.

10. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

With the Verizon deal still not completed as yet and the timing of the breach being announced this is surely going to cost Yahoo one way or another. A lot seems to hinge on when yahoo were aware of the breach, information seemed to have been appearing around a week after the deal had originally been agreed in late July.

Looking at some of the speculation, this could either be a reduction in the price or as an outside chance that the deal doesn't go ahead at all.

11. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

why would Verizon still pay $5 bill, when they could just get all the customers info from the hackers for $5k