1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Equifax UK adds 15 million UK consumers to data breach list

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 11 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

'...Let me take this opportunity to emphasise that protecting the data of our consumers and clients is always our top priority,' claims Patricio Remon, Equifax UK's president for Europe...'

Well that's a lie for a start. It might be now but it wasn't when they let the data leak was it?

Mealy-mouthed little s*** springs to mind.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

No details on how to find out if you're one of the fifteen million then?

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Have you ever applied for anything which involves a credit check? If so, you're probably a winner!
    Have I Been Pwned only lists things that its creator has been sent. If the Equifax data is never made public and whomever has it doesn't send him a copy, it'll never appear on there. Take Kickstarter for example: it announced it had been breached in February 2014 but HIBP didn't get hands-on with the data until October 2017.

HIBP is great, and I'd definitely recommend setting up a domain search alert (I did), but you don't want to rely on it because it only covers a small fraction of breaches.

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

What I want to know is what can be done to with regards damage limitation. If we assume that we have had our details breached it is highly likely that this is worse than the data usually obtained, I'd name address password etc.

I understand that by agreeing to the t&c clauses that I have "agreed" to this happening, and that it is the way the world works. But I would definitely like to know if there is a way that something an be done to prevent any fallout. In the US it is possible to lock a credit file, can you do the here? Also is there a simple way that you can - without financial penalty - get alerted to anything untoward happening?

Also what can I recommend to friends and family to do in order to limit damage from this breach, which as we know is likely to be worse than losing a password etc.

Tags: Add Tags