1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel unveils Optane DC Persistent Memory

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 May 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'd complain about it being DC-only rather than available on consumer devices, but it's likely to cost an arm and a leg for the first-gen product and offer no functional benefits without all your software being re-architected - if it even can be, this isn't a magic make-everything-go-faster device - to take advantage of it. This isn't just a transparent cache you can plop into a system like consumer Optane Memory.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you've time spare today, Intel's running a webinar on making a Linux box understand how to use the new Optane DC Persistent Memory to best effect - could be interesting!

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Where? When?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I don't have any workloads that would benefit from PM on the CPU, certainly nothing on the desktop beyond "I have my entire system running from DIMMs! Muahahaha!" bragging rights.
    I'd love to have a big pile of Optane on a GPU to hold massive point-cloud datasets, but that's kind of a you-need-a-POWER-based-system-with-NVLink-backplane-to-start-with problem (and getting Optane onto an NVLink host device is probably a nonstarter for now).

Tags: Add Tags