1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's driveless Xbox One could launch in April

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 6 Mar 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

"Blu-ray discs are just as digital as downloads are"

Thank you so much for fighting the good fight here.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Don't get me started on "organic" vegetables...

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

LOL! On the average download speeds in the UK or many other countries... good luck!

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

To be fair since consoles these days allow games to launch in a blatantly unfinished state (like for example Battlefield V or Street Fighter V) you frequently end up downloading several multi GB patches either way.

The bigger concern is that if this drive less Xbone isn't an abysmal failure in sales then we can probably wave an optical drive in the PS5 and XboneTwo goodbye and with it the used game market.

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

If I didn't already own an Xbox One X, I'd consider getting something like this as I don't ever buy physical media any more.

The majority of the UK isn't too bad, even I'm in a pretty rural location and get a decent speed. I agree that some other parts of the world where Internet isn't a priority probably wouldn't benefit from it though.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I don't think speed is the main issue in the UK anymore (not that it's great compared to a lot of the world) - it's more the hassle and cost involved with getting that speed that is shocking.

And then there's the whole reliability thing - with the amount the streets are being dug up in Cambridge, it seems like a weekly occurrence that someone we know (or us) is left without phone and net for chunks of time...

8. suenstar

I guess that's one of the advantages of living out in a rural location, both the council & various suppliers don't give two hoots about doing any additional work in the area so the only disruptions we get are power cuts when the weather is bad.

9. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I'm hoping that retailers sabotage it like they did the PSP Go.

10. TheMadDutchDude

Seeing that my parents house can’t even get above 20 Mbps... it doesn’t bode well. I can’t see many people wanting to wait six hours to play a game when they can install from a disk and be done in 20 mins.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

A lot of PC gamers are fine with that, and if it takes 24 hours at least to deliver the disk (or a trip to town) it's still probably quicker than that.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2019
  12. TheMadDutchDude

You could be right there... but it's still a good point for many that might want the option to pop into town for the disk. This isn't the future for most. The infrastructure in the UK is laughably bad for how many people there are, and how much area there is to cover.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

D'you know what I miss? Manuals. If the buggers still had decent manuals, I'll bet more physical copies would sell than digital and the high street wouldn't be looking so empty. I used to love sitting on the bus and reading the manual, anticipating getting home and playing the game proper.

Hell, bring back big cardboard boxes while you're at it. Way more environmentally friendly than the plastic cases we have today, and by god it really felt like you got your money's worth back then.

Remember Frontier: Elite II? Massive colour star chart, brick-thick manual, book of short stories, gazetteer, and that was all in the standard edition - no "Limited Collector's Edition Amazon Exclusive" nonsense here, that was just what you got. Now what do you get? Last few physical games I bought had an advert and epilepsy warning on a slip of paper at best; the Switch games didn't even come with that. Swizz.

jb0, adidan, MLyons and 2 others like this.
  14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I like physical games, I buy them 2nd hand or on sale, once done give them to a mate who does the same to me.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And the games where finished rather than early access, had no dlc, microtransactions, season passes, battle passes, loot boxes and developers didn't throw their toys out of the pram if you played a game for only 20 hours followed by playing a different game rather than the modern "live services" that demand you treat them like a full time job for years (but somehow still crap out frequent sequels).

16. suenstar

If only playing a game from disc on modern consoles was that straight-forward, nowadays they all seem to be going more and more to be a case of insert disc, then download a huge amount of additional data to install the game on your console and download a boat load of patches.

I'm finding PC games are becoming even worse with physical media where sometimes the disc just contains a Steam installer and activation.

Definitely!
    I'd be more interested in returning to having physical copies if they made it worthwhile by having a nice detailed booklet and something a bit more interesting than a run of the mill plastic jewel case that looks like every other product.

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I love the smell of manuals in the morning.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They are still out there, if you know where to look - but tend to be limited-run things. I've got these 'ere:

upload_2019-3-8_11-52-14.png

They were a limited run for Zachtronics' Exapunks: physical copies of the two 'zines provided as PDF with the game, and a Secret Envelope which I still haven't got around to opening 'cos I never finished the game!

I need to get back to that, actually - in my copious free time(!)

Tags: Add Tags