1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition EU Competition: Win a 34" Ultrawide Iiyama FreeSync monitor!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Oct 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

TBH, as soon as I see a competition involving Gleam.io it's a big "no thank you" from me. Bit-tech would do well to organise its competitions more like its sister site Hexus.

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

What is it, specifically, about Gleam and/or HEXUS that makes you prefer the approach on HEXUS?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

For me it's not so much about Gleam, I'd never heard of them before today, it's more about giving out my RL name, email address, DOB, IP address, and whatever other information could be scraped together from the, is it something like 30+, other companies that participate.

I trust you guys, i don't trust twitter, facebook, instagram, and all those others. :)

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Well good news! You don't need to give any info to any of those companies, or let them give their info to Gleam. All but one of the entries are just pure hyperlinks: click the link, then click the button saying you clicked the link (or if you;re very cheaky, pinky swear you visited the URL and click the "I visited it" button anyway).

6. Badelhas

Badelhas What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the chance! Are you announcing the winner directly on the Gleam widget?
    Cheers

7. Badelhas

Badelhas What's a Dremel?

I prefer Gleam, it's the widget itself that does the random draw of the winner. I never understood how Hexus does the winner draw, to be honest.
    But regarding Gleam it's crucial that the contest organizer announces the winner directly on the Gleam widget. It's more transparent for everyone who entered and privacy is guaranteed since only the first name and the first letter of the surname appears.
    Cheers

8. Dogbert666

Yeah we do

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's handled by a backend script that fairly chooses a winner.

Gleam IMO is better as you get more chances to win, It's provably fair and it helps us get the bit-tech brand out their more.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eh, not really. If Gleam gives *everyone* seven (or whatever) "entries," then that's mathematically identical to it giving everyone a single entry. Though I guess if a non-zero number of entrants don't bother to claim all seven entries then you get a slightly increased chance of winning if you're one of the ones who jumped through the hoops to claim all seven.

11. Dogbert666

Hello! The winner for this has been drawn, emailed, and reminded. In the vain hope that said person checks this thread... check your email!

12. Dogbert666

We found him! Congratulations to David U!

Impatience and theshadow2001 like this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Congrats, now just the problem of finding a space big enough to use it.

14. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Congrats!

Tags: Add Tags