1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered might actually be a thing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Jul 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm curious, but not sold on the notion..

I don't recall them looking bad enough to make me buy them a third or fourth time, depending on how you count.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

They didn't look bad (though not fantastic), but they sure are buggy. The lighting in ME1 is particularly dodgy.

If they follow the usual trend of collection-remasters in collating all games into one engine, then hopefully modding will be rife to fix some of the regressions of ME2 and ME3 from ME1: dump the lazy generic clip system and bring back ME1 weapons, and return the Mako for planetary tasks.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So instead of generic heatsinks to keep weapons cool and firing, you'd rather they go back to the limited by heat management of ME1? I don't recall the Mako being missed too much, there was the hammerhead in ME2 - not touched Andromeda. I kinda liked the Mako, but I didn't miss it.

It'd be nice if they included all the DLCs in the remasters, but I can't see it happening. Hopefully they remove the planet scan/probe mechanic.

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

If they include support for Ultrawide resolutions then I might be tempted to get the remasters.

6. liratheal

Personally, I found the Mako sections of ME1 to be intolerable. Very few games manage to come out with decent driving mechanics IME, and the Mako can jump right in the bin with all the ones that aren't GTA.

As for the bugs.. Eh. I imagine any fixed bugs would just be replaced with different ones.

Although I do find it amusing that on the potential of a remaster people are remembering ME1 as a bugfest, even though on the launch of Andromeda most people were foaming at the mouth about how buggy it was, and how the original trilogy was never that bad.

enbydee likes this.
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So you can experience the crushing disappointment of that ending in 4k with shinier textures.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The game itself is pretty bug-free, but the engine didn't so much transition to PC as was dragged onto it kicking and screaming. Shader resolutions mismatch and are universally low, textures load in right around the time the character leaves your view, the slowervators remain despite whatever the actual level load time is, etc.
    While the Mako itself was... somewhat flip-happy, the big annoyance was the replacement of several and contiguous large planet maps to explore and traverse with... a spinny globe you could shoot beepers into.
    Or for the first time! I loved ME1, but ME2's dumping of all the more interesting mechanics to aim closer to generic rootey-tootey-point-and-shootey had me giving up partway through.

9. liratheal

I disliked the probe crap too, but still preferred it to the Mako.

As for the bugs, I distinctly remember a number of bugs on the Xbox that were still present on pc. Characters not loading during cut scenes, half loading, or the camera deciding the nearest solid surface was more interesting than the cut scene all leap to mind.

Tags: Add Tags