Scratch Build – In Progress [3D Printed] The Iron suit project - Updated 03-09-2017.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cown, 12 Nov 2016.

1. Cown

Cown Member

Update 28-06-2017 pt. 2

ARC finished with RGB lighting, now mounted to the chest. The RGB lighting will be remote controlled, and able to run in idle mode (PC shut off), but more on that further down :)

[​IMG]

Putting everything back together again, some parts of the ribs have been added, as well as the one half of the back. I hope you like the tinted glass on the ARC, again I wanted it to be a neutral part of the suit, and not making it an awkward focusing point when all the lighting is off. Harold approves! ;)

[​IMG]

Main ARC light turned on, this will be the lighting that will run with the repulsors:

[​IMG]

A close up:

[​IMG]

Secondary ARC light turned on:

[​IMG]

Playing around with different colors :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main lighting turned off, this is what it will look like in idle mode, meaning the PSU would be shut off:

[​IMG]

Some close-ups as well as playing around a bit with the RGB:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you like it guys ;) and please let me know what you think :D

As always, thanks for looking :cool:

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Lookin' great. Harold, on the other hand has had a few bad days. I don't think subtlety is one of Marvel's strong points.

3. Cown

Cown Member

4. Cown

Cown Member

Update 06-08-20017

Hi guys

So I've finally gotten some more time to work on the project.

This time I've almost completed the back of the suit as well as managed to connect the back and chest together.

Here you can see the back completed:

[​IMG]

Sliding rails added to the abs:

[​IMG]

Insert mobo here :grin:

[​IMG]

I'm now patiently waiting for Harolds legs to arrive so I can work on the suit a bit easier. Hopefully I will have them next week, then I will cut out Harolds belly, mount alu-railing inside him and prepare for motherboard mounting. I also need to do the last finishing work on the shoulders and arms, and hopefully have them attached very soon :) stay tuned for more.

Thanks for looking :thumb:

5. Cheapskate

"Insert mobo here :grin:"
    Oh, right... I thought this was a suit for you. I totally forgot about the PC forum thing.

6. LongLove

LongLove New Member

Very cool!))))

7. warboy

warboy Insane modder

8. Yaka

Yaka Well-Known Member

wow cool, my 6 yearold son just saw this and his jaw dropped. now he wants to try and build some thing, which is in my book a very good thing. thanks and looking forward to more updates

9. Cown

Cown Member

Sometimes I do too :eeek:

Thanks guys, glad you like it :happy:

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad that he likes it and will put you to work now :grin: hopefully it can be of some use and inspiration. I wish my girls (2 and 6) were just as excited lol.

I hope to put up more updates this week, so stay tuned :dremel:

10. Cown

Cown Member

Testing out a new idea for the helmet :grin:

11. Cown

Cown Member

Update 03-09-2017.

Hi guys, time for a bigger update this time :)

After couple of sidetracks, like the fellow below :grin: repairing the printer, and testing out some new filaments, I'm now finally ready to continue printing the rest of the suit and working on more details for completed parts.

[​IMG]

Groot says, well "I am Groot!"

As you could see from the last video I've posted, I was trying out different ideas for what to put inside the head, and the one in the video from earlier stuck. I had a couple of ideas with an Arduino mega, along with a 3.5" TFT screen I recently ordered. First I thought of havin't it work as a hardware monitor, displaying temps, cpu/grp speeds, rpms, etc., but then thought that would be too boring. I then got the idea of using Tony's face inside the helmet using a GIF image, but this couldn't be done with the Arduino. Then I thought of using a Raspberry Pi 3 instead, but came to the conclusion that the 3.5" screen would simply be too small for the face. I then remembered having an old 7" tablet lying around, nobody uses anymore and concluded that it should be able to do the trick. The following is what it ended up being :)

First thing's first. Harold seriously needed plastic surgery, and what better tool for the job, than my trusty Dremel :dremel:

[​IMG]

He doesn't look too pleased :worried:

[​IMG]

After finding the right video, and altering the size etc. it was time to see how it would fit the best.

[​IMG]

In the progress, I decided to change the color of the LED's as well. A bit difficult to see in daylight.

[​IMG]

After cutting out a frame made of acrylic glass, I added some black foil to it and attached the tablet behind the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing it out in the dark:

[​IMG]

Now it's time to fit the Arduino, controlling the servo, inside as well:

[​IMG]

I printed a support frame for the Arduino:

[​IMG]

At first i fitted it to the battery pack for the LED's, but had to move it again, since it would no longer fit Harold's head :duh:

[​IMG]

That's better:

[​IMG]

All the bells and whistles tucked nicely inside Harold's new face:

[​IMG]

I've added some old stuff I had lying around to give it a more "techy/robotic" look:

[​IMG]

"IT'S ALIVE! :clap:

[​IMG]

In the dark:

[​IMG]

Assembling:

[​IMG]

And some final test pictures :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a video, just to show you how it works :D

Now as my printer is hard at work printing the rest of the body, below, part of the left thigh, my next step will be completing the arms and cutting out Harold's guts, to make room for rails that will support the motherboard, as well as the PSU.

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like what you've seen so far :)

Stay tuned for more, and as always, thanks for looking guys :dremel:

12. Cheapskate

You should have just done the eyes so he's looking out through the visor. ;)
    A layer of silver paint on the inside can help block that light bleeding through.

13. Cown

Cown Member

Haha yeah, the thought did actually cross my mind, but the tablet is too big and the screen too narrow for it to align correctly with the faceplate, but that would've been funny :D

Silver paint the acrylic eyes you mean?

14. Cheapskate

I meant coating the faceplate inside would keep it from glowing when closed.

Yaka and Cown like this.
  15. Cown

Cown Member

Good idea, I will give it a try :happy: