1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

800 3d marks, gone, just like that :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mister_Tad, 28 Dec 2002.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

right then i have an abit kx7-333 with a 2200+ when i first upgraded i ran 3dmark as anyone would do just to have a look before the overclocking began, all the default bios settings were used as it was just reset. this was using the 9k bios, i then got the b6 bios, which i presumed to be better as it was more recent and it shaved about 800 3dmarks off my next run. :jawdrop:

horrified i immediately went back to 9k and reset the bios again but the 800 3dmarks had just dissapeared when i ran it again, gone without a trace. :waah:

anyone had a problem like this or know what happened?

cheers

2. KevinOwns

KevinOwns What's a Dremel?

I'm crying for you. Really, I am. I mean, now you are going to somehow have to cope with having 4 less frames per second. :waah: :waah:

3. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

Incase you hadn't noticed, there are a lot of people here who work to get the last FPs out of their system, so having 4 suddenly vanish is annoying at the least.

I've had that happen to me, but I never figured out the problem. I'd be interested to here if you can sort it. Mine just went back to normal after a while.

4. Mikki

Mikki What's a Dremel?

...not to mention on slower systems 4fps is actually a big deal...:rolleyes:

5. Luke

Luke What's a Dremel?

4 is a lot!

If I lost 4 fps I'd be really pissed, because then I'd only have about 2 in total (Damn TNT2.) :sigh:

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Maybe the 1st run was a fluke? I've had bogus results before now.

7. GunDam

GunDam Minimodder

I agree, thats why I do a loop of 3 tests and take an average.

Out of interest wot was the original result ?

8. Mister_Tad

the orig result was something around 7200 i thik
    then it dropped to about 6400-6500 ish
    now i have it up to nearly 10k but that is after overclocking and changing the bios to more agressive settings, just that extra 800 and i would breeze past the 10k mark and give my ego a boost

but when i whack the stock clocks back in and reset all the bios bits its back down at the 6400 mark

and i refuse to believe that its a fluke cos then i just have to live with the fact that i wont be able to get over 10k :waah:

sorry its all getting a bit too dramatic for me here :D

im going to wipe everything on my windows drive and start over in a few weeks when all this silly uni exam business is over, im wondering if that will change anythgin (i hope i hope i hope i hope)

Last edited: 29 Dec 2002
  9. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

3D Mark means nothing - too dependent on OS etc.... Only FPS does.

10. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I ran 3dmark a few days ago just for a laugh and got 5500 3d marks :lol:

Of course this is rubbish as my comp can run UT2 in 1280x1024 with antistropic filtering (not on the highest level tho ;)).

It just goes to show that 3dmark is a big steaming pile of ****.

Oh yer on my other partion which has a really fubared install of winXP I got 8300, but it cant even run UT2 in 1024x768 without slowing down really bad.

Again 3dmark is just pure ****.

EDIT: The first score was in Win2k SP3

11. Flax

Flax What's a Dremel?

Could it be to do with windows breaking itself or the harddrives being fragmented? My pc always runs faster straight after a format than when windows has been left alone for a few months.

12. Mister_Tad

im not really too arsed about teh 3dmarks altho i have a mate who thinks its teh be all and end all of benchmarking and he has more than me when my system clearly eats his for a light afternoon snack. but i have noticed that the whole sytem is rather sluggish ever since i changed the bios around
    my nipply scsi drive even seems to be a bit lost at times, could there have been a prob in the flash or something like that?
    as i said ill probably start windows over but id much rather figure out what is going wrong and avoid all that hassle especially since it may not do anythgin