1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a guide to the nort for you southerners

Discussion in 'General' started by samuelellis, 20 Apr 2004.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I beg to differ!! The North, and North East were instrumental in the industrial revolution, which not only shaped OUR country, but most others at the time. I put it to you, that the Yorkshire and Lancashire are probably the most important counties in recent UK history.

2. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i put it to you, that that is the very reason they are ****eholes ;)

3. Pookeyhead

Explain please. How does being the powerhouse for the industrial revolution (a historic even without which you'd probably not be sitting at your computer now) make them ****holes?

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

The industrial revolution was about putting machines above human lives of poor people. Its quite fitting what bradford is like now, as a form of justice.

The point is you don't have to be greatful about something that happened because of people long dead now, who might not like the shape of things as they currently are.

5. Pookeyhead

You are assuming that Bradford is representative of the North... which it patently isn't. You also assume that the North was USED by teh south as a cheap workforce. However, many of the engineers responsible for the road, rail, canal networks were Northern. Steam engineers like George Stevenson were Northern.

Living in both places, I can say with some confidence that the south is more industrialised than the north now. The North's old industries (steel, textiles, coal) are no longer there in any great quantity.

The industrial revolution was not about putting machines above human life at all. It came at human cost yes, especially considering civil engineering projects such as our railways, but these effected the entire country, not just the north: More navvies died digging Brunel's tunnel under the thames (now part of the Metropolitan line) than the entire west coast mainline.

My point is, that whether you consider the industrial revolution as a good, or bad thing, it wouldn't have happened without the north - so, as a result, whatever your opinions, it can't be dismissed as unimportant. Which was my point.

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

well theres not just bradford, there is also liverpool and of course newcastle we could take the piss outa, but tbh its too easy.

Also my last line is still valid, by your own admission your not very industrial up there any more, so why should we be greatful we still have the north NOW rather than a century ago?

(other thing is, northerners are easyer to wind up :D)

7. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

well ive been in york for about 2 years now (originally from leicester) and ive noticed the lack of use of the word 'the':

eg
    im going to the pub = am off't pub
    etc.

and that many a "northerner" cant grasp the difference between 'lend' and 'borrow'

8. Pookeyhead

well most working class people from the south east pronounce "th" as "f". "I live in sarf landen" = I live in south London. If we're to equate accents and regional dialect with the quality of the region, then there are some southern counties left wanting I'm afraid.

This whole regional debate is pointless. Regional accents and dialects are a result of education, or lack of it. Someone who goes to a good school, and then university will always have a softer regional accent than a local scumbag car theif - fact. The exception to this of course is anyone who went to a school like Harrow - then you'd have a stupid RP accent that makes far less sense than any regional accent: Words like "actually" being pronounced "ashley".. what's all THAT about?

Basically, I can't stand regional accents of any kind, northern or southern, and RP is pointless, elitist BS.

Long Live Standard English!

9. Pookeyhead

Liverpool? WHen was the last time you there? Nothing wrong with the place.

We should be grateful we have the north now because there are some very nice places there. Plus.. I said that the heavy industries that made them are no longer there - that's not to say there are no industries there.

I'm not saying the north is better than the south, or vice versa - I love London for instance, but there are some proper ****holes in the south too. It just annoys me that southerners think that A) It's like coronation street B) it's all industrial. All regions have their crapholes, it's just that for some reason OUR crapholes have become our stereotype - probably BECAUSE of the heavy industry of past.

However... as I said, my original point was to explain the IMPORTANCE of the north, not to debate which is better.

I agree with you about the North East however. That has little to recommend it.

10. fathazza

i have no idea what RP is meant to be, but you clearly havent met any Harrovians.

The one thing that annoys be about the north is that all call centres seem to be located there (or india) and i cant understand a word they say.

11. Pookeyhead

Oh indeed I have... plenty of them! RP is Received Pronounciation.. basically Public Schoolboy accent to you and me.

No more than someone from up here would struggle to understand someone from the East End of London. Does being a SOUTHERN regional accent somehow make it more acceptable than a Northern one.. just because you live there? Travel more.. broaden your horizons... will do your abilty to understand accents a power of good.

ANyway... like I said.. ALL regional accents are pants... people should learn to talk properly no matter where they are from.

12. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Worst place for call centers is wales.

I can take having to speek german to some nice dutch lady when talking to seagate, (that was because it hit the wrong key :duh: ), or talking to someone often better education that you or I, who is in india.
    Buuut waaalaaaz.
    Dear god, y, is it to stop people calling them? Because you can't understand a bloody word they are saying. Only to find they want to be speaking welsh anyway.

Welsh anoys me, so much, take Tele'edy (however its spelt) the welsh for TV.
    I mean why, most languages refer to them as a TV, or something that translates into moving pictures over wire. But the welsh make it sound like an animal (this is where someone tells me it translates into just that, i was told by someone it dosen't i took their word for it, i can't speak a line of welsh).

grrr uc, the welsh are north of the north south devide, except cardif, which should be nuked anyway. The welsh accent also anoys me more than any other. I hate the welsh too, if someone say wants to put them in room101 they make a fuss "how dare they", if someone would want to put say cornwall into room101 no one would care, well no one with a voice.

*rants on about the welsh*

13. Pookeyhead

The Welsh language is probably the only true British language there is. You're right though.. it's very annoying.

14. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

don't tell the welsh that, they will hate you for it.

15. Pookeyhead

I said BRITISH language... not ENglish. Even the paranoid, totally illogical Welsh can't argue that they're not part of the British Isles... although they'd probably try.

16. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

we need some test subjects, if we test a sample of 10, my money is on 7+ of them been anoyed, and 4+ giving u an earful.

17. Pookeyhead

Any Welsh people care to comment? :hehe:

18. MaxWiz

MaxWiz What's a Dremel?

I love it up north (and I'm a Southerner) a few reasons

1. House prices. I've got a good sized, well turned out, 5 bed detached house with a couple of acres (+ orchard) and views straight out across the Pennines (really stunning) and I can afford that on a teachers salary!

2. People. They really are friendlier (its NOT just a cliché). I have taught Southerners and Northerner, the Northerners are generally harder working and brighter.

3. London is too big. Here I am basically in a rural setting, but 10 mins on the train (less when the Metro gets here next year) and I am in the centre of Manchester. All the night life etc you could want. An hour by car and I can be in any one of half a dozen different cities. In London an hour by car gets you to the corner shop :D

Downside? Only that I don't get to see my parents/brothers as much as I would like (still down south). Oh and it rains a bit more ;)

Max

19. fathazza

aha, did a quick search and saw that it basically means the "queens english", which as an ex public schoolboy is what i speak ;)

frankly, i dunno where u get that idea from, the queens english may sound anoying to some but is definately the easiest from of british dialect to understand. Dunno where u get the actually thing from, i went to public school for my entire education and have never heard actually pronounced in any other way than "actually".

In my experience people dislike the Public school accent more from their stereotypical dislike (can you say chip ont he shoulder ;) ) of people who went to public school than the actual way words are pronounced.

On the other hand, i rather like the welsh accent, mainly for its comic value tho :thumb:

And i pretty much cant abide any London accent, or the city itself.

Fave Accent = West Country
    Sexiest Accent = Soft Belfast

20. Pookeyhead

First of all Harrow has an accent all of it's own... it's like RP x10.. it's stupid.

Secondly: Yes, I can understand the Queen too. I never said RP can't be understood, I just said Harrovians sound lame.

Thirdly: Whilst Her Maj can be understood, anyone who sounded like that who applied for a job as a news reader would not get the job. RP is NOT standard English. RP is an accent. The ideal is to speak with NO accent... not a regional, or social one anyway. Even those that speak Standard English will haev an accent.. a British one. I just can't stand heavy accents, whether they be Mancunian, Cockney, Gordie or Glaswegian.

Yes.. you may have gone to public school, but that doesn't mean you're going to sound like Prince Phillip!!