1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by modfx, 20 Sep 2011.

1. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

so, its 11 pm, I'm gaming as normal, when for no apparent reason, there's a crackling from my case and my system powers off. Now, the mb lights come on and the post display, but it refuses to start up. System is only a year old. I called scan but they want to know which component specifically is dodgy. Seeing that I can't actually power on the system nor have the spares handy to run individual tests, I'm a bit screwed. Any suggestions to what I can do? Specs are in my Sig .

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Start simple, remove anything unnecessary. Try booting with just one stick of memory, no graphics card, no hard drive, no optical.

Then if it works, try a different stick of memory. Then if all memory allows it to boot, add graphics card and try it again. Keep going until you find the thing that won't let it boot.

If it doesn't boot at all no matter what, I would say either PSU or motherboard. Unlikely to be your CPU as they very rarely fail.

3. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

thanks for the reply. That's the thing, its as if there is no power full stop, whilst the rog logo is lit up, as are the post display and the array of power and reset etc switches, it does nothing if I press either the case, or onboard power switches

4. noizdaemon666

It does nothing even when there's nothing except your CPU and one stick of memory plugged in?

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Give the psu a sniff ;)

Id strip it down, try it with just one stick of mem etc but your going to play guessing games without being able to swap parts.

6. Virt

Virt What's a Dremel?

Do that. In fact, can you smell anything unusual from inside the case?

It may seem stupid, but you didn't manage to loosen the power cable going into the power supply with your foot? :p

7. noizdaemon666

If this turns out to be the issue I will bake everybody on bit-tech a cheesecake each :lol:

On topic - Any word on whether anything works with just the basic bits?

8. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Tried all suggestions. It's basically a very big paper weight :(

9. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Oh and no funny smells, nor any physical signs of damage

10. noizdaemon666

I would hazard a guess at the PSU, most fizzy crackling explosions are PSU based. But, one thing to check, are all the screws in the right place, none have come loose. I had a motherboard screw come loose of its own accord when I was playing BC2. The resultant noise, and smell made me fear I'd accidentally entered the game world lol

Edit: Could still be PSU. You really need another to see if it's that or your board.

11. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I doubt its the psu cos it still seems to be supplying power to the board. I think I have a spare somewhere so ill dig it out when I get home from work

12. noizdaemon666

Could be PSU, just because your board has power doesn't mean it has enough to turn on, or anything left to power the other bits. Best check, either way you're going to have to enter the realms of the RMA :thumb:

13. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Is it possible for a dodge psu to damage the rest of the components?

14. noizdaemon666

Very possible unfortunately.

15. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

So potentially I may have to Rma the whole rig? Yay D:

16. noizdaemon666

It's unlikely, most of the time it'll probably just be the PSU. Maybe the board as well if you're unlucky. Hopefully it's just one or the other :)

17. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I hope its the psu, last thing I want to do is a windows reinstall, my data isn't backed up :p

18. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

On a side note, is there any way to recover data from a previous windows install if I do a new install on a different hdd ?

19. noizdaemon666

Yeah, if the hdd isn't damaged then it's just copy and paste. If it is damaged, data recovery might be necessary. Not difficult to recover data unless the hdd won't even recognise so you can't access it.

modfx likes this.
  20. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

It's definitely the motherboard, I tested with my spare psu and got the same result. after going over it with a fine toothed comb I found some brownish blackish rust like residue on the right edge of the fujitsu capacitor under the memory modules so I guess that's the issue. I've got an rma number off scan and sending it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help noizedaemon, +rep

Last edited: 25 Sep 2011