1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Anyone try a built in PlayStation 2 mod yet?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bHawk, 6 Jan 2002.

1. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

I think the built-in PSX mod is the coolest mod ever made. I was wondering if anyone has tried it with a PS2 yet? Im going to be getting a PS2 soon and it would be sweet to have it built in to my comp, but I'd be scared sh*tless to try it because Im new to modding, and for a high-school student, screwing up on a $300 PS2 would be a huge loss, and certainly more than Id be willing to risk at the moment.

2. sTevE

sTevE What's a Dremel?

Dont! Dont! Dont! the ps2 is nice out of the pc case. It would be kinda cool to do it but to much money to lose. Wait a while if you have to do it, just wait until the ps2 gets old.

3. Cicada

Cicada What's a Dremel?

Built in PS1? where can i find stuff on that? i have a PS1 id like to build into my case :D

4. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

At first i thought it was a joke, but Ive seen other cases have the same mod so it must be real.

Go here for more info.

5. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

The PS2 has a fan on the back right? then change it for a Delta or some high power one. :)

6. batsman

batsman the quiet one

personaly i think a pc built into a ps2 case would be better.

And you can get usb addapter that take ps1 & 2 controllers

7. Afroman

Afroman What's a Dremel?

After ripping apart my ps2 and studying it and thinking for the last few hours, I can tell you that putting a ps2 in your pc case is going to be hard as hell if you intend to do it stylishly. Its not a simple project with a dozen wires to extend like with my ps1 in a pc. Just dissecting the ps2 fully takes ages to learn.

What I have in mind for the ps2 is similar to the ps1 mod - controller ports being on the front panel at the top. But this time the ps2 dvd drive will have its own dedicated drive bay where it can eject. With power and reset right next to it on the bay panel. And the usb and firewire ports on the same panel too if you want to go all the way.
    In order to do this you'll need at least two special flexible flat cable wires that are longer than sony's version to allow for you to separate the motherboard from the controller ports/dvd drive. These are some pretty high density ones and I dont think anyone human could solder this stuff manually with telephone wire... Anyways unless I can find cables like these in a ghetto electronics store near me, the only other place I can find them online is special order stuff from companies in korea that make cables like this...
    Not only that, but theres a place deep inside the dvd drive where one end of a third flat cable goes, but it looks like you cant remove it. So you'll have to solder about a dozen thin wires into this tight little area. I think it is possible to do though if you are very experienced.
    I have taken pictures of these 'problem cables' if youre interested.

And getting video and stereo sound and stuff from the motherboard will also involve an annoying amount of soldering but it looks prety doable.

So basically it'll take weeks to do the mod 'right'.

Alternatively, you could just take your ps2 fully intact, and dremel out a few holes in the side panel of your case for controller ports etc. Glue the front of the ps2 to the side panel with the holes aligned. But thats the easy way out and it would look crap.

ok im sick of typing now

8. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

AFROMAN! I love your site, i rocks! First time I saw it, it had me in stitches. *crackmonkey* :rofl:

9. BlackFlux

BlackFlux What's a Dremel?

What site? Share the wealth and hook me up too.

10. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

11. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

afro's site just shows all the little spoiled rich kids that us poor people can mod with style too.

12. Coords666

Coords666 What's a Dremel?

Plus he references one of the other funniest sites on the web...

I hope a ninja totally flips out and cuts of your head, and then porks your woman! That would be sweeeeeet!

13. Afroman

Afroman What's a Dremel?

never abuse your ninja modding talents.
    always think of the poor and unfortunate and pop 6 foot boners for charity