1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cooking an X360?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhoenixTank, 19 Nov 2013.

1. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Hey bit tech!

I've been given a broken Xbox that has had a RRoD in the past, but has since been fixed... probably by MS. Not sure, but as it stands, it turns on with no red lights, but no video signal either. No sound as far as I can tell.

I've read many a thread in the past about cooking various GPUs as a last ditch resort to bring them back to life. Apparently this works by reflowing the solder on the GPU... but has anyone here ever tried to or seen a solid guide on how to safely cook an Xbox 360?
    I don't fully trust the results and videos that google/youtube have turned up. (blocking the intakes with towels was a thing that community did :| )

Nothing really to lose here, but I'd like to at least do it sensibly, even if it doesn't work.

Any help appreciated. Even links to explanatory threads/guides for normal PC video cards would be a decent start.

Thanks!

Last edited: 19 Nov 2013
  2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

My mate wrapped his in towels and turned it on for a few hours - it did the trick for his RROD!

3. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I bought a X clamp replacement kit, a heat gun and a reflow kit all off eBay for when my 360 developed rrod. I went through all the effort of doing the reflow and changing the X clamps, but alas, all to no avail.

At that point, I just bought a replacement 360 off eBay for 40quid. When it arrived, I tried the new power brick in my rrod 360 and surprise surprise, it works! Apparently dud power bricks can cause rrod's. So technically, I have done a reflow with a kit off eBay, it's just the 360 in question didn't need it.

Just a quick couple of questions; how are you hooking your 360 up to your TV? Hdmi? Have you checked the cable is working in another device?
    If it is by Hdmi, do you have the component hd cable to check it isn't a dud Hdmi socket on the xbox?
    If it's a componant hd cable, have you checked the switch on the side of the xbox cable is switched to hd TV?
    If it's hooked up to a standard TV via scart, have you checked the same cable isn't switched to hd TV?

4. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Really? Permanently? Still working? Have read that could cause plenty of damage to other components, so forgive me if I'm highly sceptical. Bear in mind, it isn't showing red rings right now. Just no signal.

Sounds like it isn't a cut & dry thing, then.
    I just have the one cable with LR audio that can switch between TV (yellow - composite?) & HD (RGB - Component). I've flicked between both switch settings and had both hooked up at once to my TV, and flicked back and forth between inputs (on the TV).
    To my knowledge this cable has been fine in the past.

5. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I don't know but if the Xbox is set specifically to say 1080p and your TV doesn't support it that probably wouldn't produce a picture or if it is forced on the hdmi.

I'm not sure if the Xbox auto detects display if it is manually set, there might be a hard reset for the Xbox to get it back to factory defaults, gonna look now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I've done the towel trick but also put paperclips in the vent to stop the fans but tend to open them up now, remove the cooling tunnel thing, disconnect fan and turn it on to over heat, doesn't take long.

On some 360's I've done it lasted days, on others it's over a year, it's hit and miss