Cooling Copper is dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mister_Tad, 9 Aug 2004.

1. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

HAHAHAHA your a fkn idiot to say that. there not even the same design so you cant even begin to compare the differences between the metals. A copper design will always beat the same exact design made form alu. By how much depends on the design. The only reson to use alu is cost, and machinablility (again - cost).

"some findings aobut the silver are that the blocks ( not these but the SS cascades by cathar) deal with hotspots better for a much more even heat disipation and that what i have noticed on mine is that i go fro load temp to idle low temp much quicker when i back don the cpu usage."

Silver has about half the specific heat of copper, this allows it to react quicker and deal with hotspots better, although when used with a constant heat source (not a cpu) the specific heat is irrelevant as it only says how long for equilibruim to be reached. Silver is better, even with the same temps it will give a higher overclock, but one worth the price? NO!

Again, theres no reson to buy silver except for the looks (though silver plating is a lot cheaper for this purpose!). If you want uber performance dont spend 5x more on a block, instead get your self a waterchiller or something that will acctually give a NOTICABLE difference in performance...

2. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

you say no its not worth it but that is a judgement call based on hte individual.
    for some that have the money they could argue yes such as me and about 30 other people thati know with silver cascades. so it might be better to say " is it worth it for most people"

3. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I can think of about six dozen ways to rephrase that without sounding like an arrogant dick.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Here here! :clap:

The forums are for reasoned debate. if you want to correct or point out an error someone has made then do it politely. :eyebrow:

5. Risky

Risky Modder

Hear, hear! even :p

Agreed though. We need to keep this forum civilised. "Extreme cooling" can mean extremely good cooling, extremely quiet cooling, extremely overcomplicated cooling or even extremely pretty cooling!

It is not (REPEAT NOT) a search to find the best kit for your own circumstances and then rubbish everyone else's choices. If this doesn't suit I'm sure you can find a "watercooling ranting and pesonal abuse" forum elsewhere.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i think people are missing the point here

ITS FREAKING SHINEH SILVER!!!
    :hehe:

is it better than the copper one? marginally, (or not as some people claim)
    is it worse than the copper one? definitely not
    does it look teh shiznit? most definitely :baby:

7. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Actually, the best part is probably the corrosion. Silver is a whole lot more noble than copper.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

First, watch your flaming

Second, it's been tested and proven true. The ALX is even smaller than the SLK which goes to prove my point even more. An all copper version won't perform better, and if you wanna go test it to try and prove me wrong then go find yourself a CNC machine.

Third, get your facts straight before you go flaming.

9. pauldenton

pauldenton What's a Dremel?

cascade SS is a slightly tweaked design over a (copper) cascade to take advantage of silver's properties.
    http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/cascade_ss_waterblock_review_-.php

i believe the silver TDX is unchanged from the copper.

10. PankyBoy

PankyBoy What's a Dremel?

11. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

this is true but weather it is tweeked or not both blocks will benifit from the fact that the silver transferes heat in a more even fasion

12. Carbon

Carbon Banned

AGREED!!1

£80.99 :eeek: Someones a pimp!!! ;)

13. camaro

camaro What's a Dremel?

bling bling

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Could we make that one a sticky, please?

Exactly. :thumb: :D

Tags: