1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cpu fans

Discussion in 'Modding' started by IornRayn, 22 Apr 2002.

1. IornRayn

IornRayn Guest

Getting my new mobo tomarrow, i hope, and going to oc it up to 1.5ghz, its a tbird 1.4ghz on the a7v266 with delivered 256 ddr, going to add more with what i have, but still deciding on what fan to go with, anyone have any suggestions, quiet does not matter to me, i just want the fan that will keep it down the coolest temp. looking at a volc 7+ but if anyone knows of better...

2. viridius

viridius What's a Dremel?

ThermalRight SK6 with a 60mm Delta.

3. Beaner

Beaner What's a Dremel?

heh...I ordered myself a Thermalright AX7 w/ an 80mm Delta Bad Boy on it. 80CFM!!! But since I don't want to go deaf I'm going to recycle the rheostat I've got on my 60mm Delta as per the guide here @ Bit-Tech. I have to say, no matter how many times you tell yourself that noise doesn't matter, you WILL change your mind over time. That's why I love being able to vary speed. Otherwise, Thermaltake has a 60mm fan w/ a VERY good noise/performance ratio.

4. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

look into the Alpha PAL line of products..... like the 8045 or 6035... if anything get a heatsink that is either A) uses all 3 socket lugs B) bolt on through 4 holes by mother board C) small and light, but connecting by only one socket lug....

see this thread for reasoning behind that last one:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7673

5. Vectrex

Vectrex What's a Dremel?

I would have to agree with Beaner in this case. A Thermalright AX7 will kick ass with any fan, but with an 80mm High Output Delta? Your guaranteed an ass kicking HSF! That's what I would go with if I had the cash.

6. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

swiftech are the gods--i have used swiftech hsinks for yrs---they simly cannot be beaten--they also look very nice, bit costly, but will get the job done over even an ax7-with 80mm fan

try the mc462....................

7. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

NOISE DOES MATTER!!!
    anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool
    and as for the TB1.4ghz, it can't be clocked up much anyways(max around 200mhz i would say and if you're gonna clock it up any more than that it'll cost so fooking much (peltiers, water cooling,etc...), you might as well just spend the extra cash on upgrading to a faster processor in the first place)
    the 1.4 ghz is the hottest AMD (if you don't count the xp2100 and up) so you're gonna need some good cooling...
    i built a pc for me best friend last year and it just so happened to be a TB1.4...so anyways we took a Tiger Miprocool hsf, because i've heard many a man speak well of it,(many moon ago). so anyway coz it's an 80mm fan, it has much lower RPM's, hence pushing the same amount of air through, whilst keeping the DB's down to a low 19-26 (very quiet). me friends machine runs at 1.4, with no paste (just a silly mat which came on the bottom of the cooler) and no case cooling at a reasonable 55 degrees or so, and he's never had any instability probs whatsoever...
    this not so legendary HSF has a cost of around 30 euros, and i can guarantee that it will suit your purposes just fine...
    if you can just bloody find one without having to drive across the country to a store that sells it...
    now if you listen to my advice, you'll buy a HSF with an 80 mm fan, coz they are the best (coolest, quitest, etc...)

8. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

and one more thing... you don't need a TB 1.4, unless you're gonna use it for multimedia (games, movies, etc....) so you bloody well should care about the noise level...
    bloody hell

9. IornRayn

IornRayn Guest

150 US$ for a 1.4tbird w/ asus a7v266 256ddr included, plus it is for games, i think its perfect :dude: ive got a friend with the volc 7, going to see what his does today, we all get ours in today, the mobo/cpu/mem

10. IornRayn

IornRayn Guest

Oh, it can go over 200mhz overclock, supposubly, someone at the VH forums I believe has one showing at 15something I thought, maybe 16, I forgot and cannot find it. It was 1.4tbird @ 1530 I'm almost positive

11. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i've definitely gotten my tbid 1.4 to 1600 so.. they can go more than 200.... only reason i stopped was i didn't feel like playing anymore

12. IornRayn

IornRayn Guest

What'd you have on it to get it that high? And what temp was it at?

13. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

$150! where! my bro needs a new system and that would be perfect methinks.

and as a side note, the volcano7 doesnt do hardly anything more than the volcano 6. it looks prettier. as for fan noises and stuff, i would just buy fan adapters, so you can get a quieter larger fan to push the same amount as a smaller louder fan.

14. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

Alpha PAL 8045u, and it was running around 48C ish under load

15. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

thats a pretty nice temp..i o/c'd my 1.0ghz t-bird to 1400, and it runs around 52 under load. using a coolermaster hsf + a sunon 90mm high fan ducted over the hsf.

sorry if a bit off topic, had to brag :D

16. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

im at about 36c underload, overclocked from 1.33 to 1.5.. alpha pal 8045, arctic silver 3, 53cfm peak airflow.. :) yeah baybe,...

-scoob8000

17. The Punisher 2000

The Punisher 2000 What's a Dremel?

Alpha Pal 8045 or Thermalright AX-7 I have both i am doing some research on which is better i have equipped both with delta 80mm 80 cfm fans.

T[H]anks.

18. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

a delta sounds like a hair dryer all i have done to shut my monster (80cfm) up is spend sum dosh on sound proofing foam for around the case

also the computer is not modded with windows and stuff but it has round cables fans fans and fans 431 psu

mind u it is my home server runs 5 computers off it so it doesnt really need a window