1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows dual boot xp and vista issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by cannon, 18 Feb 2007.

1. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Howdy,

I am trying to install windows vista business on my home PC dual boot with xp and vista.

First off the hardware in question is AMD 5200+ , DFI LP NF590 SLI M2R/G, OCZ DDR2 PC8800 GOLD Dual Channel , HIS x1950xtx, Zalman 600w Heat Pipe PSU, Dual Samsung Spinpoint SATAII 400Gb, HP SATA DVD Burner.

I currently have xp pro installed and wanted to dual boot to make sure i was happy to go ahead with vista. I have created a 25GB primary partition. I have then inserted the disk in windows, ran through the setup telling it to install to my new partition (v:).

It copys the files then about 25% through unpacking it restarts, if i run through the boot loader and select windows setup it get to the progress screen and just sits there. If I restart the pc (hard restart) it will run through the progress bar about 3.5 times then stops mid way - doesnt do a thing.

I have also tried booting directly from the install disk (DVD), when I hit any key it does the same thing - gets to the progress screen and just sits there.

If i fire XP back up it tells me it was unable to install vista and to check compatibility but the upgrade adviser gives me the all clear. I have a feeling i cant boot directly off the disc cause its a sata dvd drive but not sure if this is effecting the standard installation aswell.

Have played with the OS on a mates laptop and was impressed, didnt think a dual boot would be so hard.

Thanks in advance.
    Paul

2. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Read a bit on this, planning to kill the overclock and run the vista memtest to see if it makes any difference.

Anyone knows about this?
    P

3. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

This might not be helpful, but I did exactly what you did:

- partition magicked the drive for a new primary partition, in my case 125gb
    - booted into XP, popped the Vista CD in the drive
    - clicked install
    - left it for about 20 - 30 minutes
    - set my language settings

And I'm done. Maybe a faulty disc or hardware error? Certainly doesn't sound like software or anything you're doing wrong...

4. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Problem is everythings brand new and runs like a dream in xp but ive since read its very picky about its ram so will run the memtest thing built into it and try again - maybe it writes something somewhere to says its successful and will go from there, otherwise ill turn off the overclock.

My dramas start when it first reboots ~30% through unpacking.

Cheers
    Paul

5. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

ok - its up - on vista now - doing the memtest thing did nothing - was successful but didnt help.

removing the overclock did :(

see how we go - may try to push it back up now its on and see what happens.

Paul

Tags: