1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster GeForce Water-Cooling Disaster

Discussion in 'Modding' started by redhawk, 12 Nov 2003.

1. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

Here is what happens when you try and remove a GeForce Water-cooling block that was glued on with Artic Silver 2 part epoxy. The manufacturer tells you upfront that this two part Artic Silver is permanent. I decided to try and place it in the freezer and pop it off like you do a normal glued on OEM fan. Don't try. See the results if you do. That was a sad day for a $400 board. :waah:

[​IMG]

Graphic GPU ripped in half. :duh:

Last edited: 13 Nov 2003
  2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

That musta hurt

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

Eeeew what was that a 9800 pro?

Thats the bricks man, got a spare for your rig?

4. Dremel

Dremel What's a Dremel?

i would have run myself into walls if i had done that, crashed my car etc, 400$ is like 60 hours of work at the wage i make :(

5. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

Not a 9800 Pro, It is only a 9700 Pro that I first paid $400 for when it came out, but lucky for me the price had dropped when I had to replace it. I guess lucky is not a good choice of words here. :blah:

6. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

pic doesent work

that sound really bad tho, bad luck man

7. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

The pictures are up on Road Runner's Personal Home Pages. They have been having server problems lately. Sorry. The pictures are still their and will re-appear as soon as they fix the server. :sigh:

UPDATE: I just moved all the pictures to another server. :)

Last edited: 13 Nov 2003
  8. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

Not good :blah:

Guess I'll be leaving my li'l card stock for now (not that it's a great card...)

What are you replacing it with? 9800xt? :D

9. Zoomer

Zoomer What's a Dremel?

unluck mate, :jawdrop:

10. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

Mr. DT, I decided not to go for the top of the line incase this happens again. I replaced it with the exact same ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. Now a lot less money then originally. The reason I was trying to remove the waterblock is because the card's one memory went bad.

I have added these RAM heatsinks along with the waterblock on the new board. Running much better and cooler now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At one time I had this fan blowing cool air across the AGP board to keep the Ram Cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fan was then removed after the RAM heatsinks were added.
    I just got a little paranoid I was going to loss another video RAM chip.

Over-Clocking

I feel it important to say when you have a water-cooling system and you have the ability to overclock your CPU nice and high, you are also over clocking everything else. This includes the GPU and video card RAM etc. Even your hard drive bus is getting boosted. Just be careful. I am almost certain this is what took out the video RAM on the original board. :wallbash:

11. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

Well, at least everything's working now (even if you may be a 'little' out of pocket)

Cheers for the oc tip, ive clocked my cpu by changing the multiplier (FSB stock atm), will this still affect the rest of my system? The reason i ask is because i clock my gpu seperately, and dont really want to kill it (although i'm due for an upgrade :idea: )

Btw, sorry if this is kinda off-topic

12. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

I have found it depends on the motherboard. On some motherboard just changing the multiplier, changes everything. Even the memory, hard drive bus, and all your bus speeds to each PCI card and APG card.

But on a lot of motherboards they have separate timing for CPU, FSB, memory and PCI. All that would be in your motherboard BIOS settings if they are there. My motherboard does not have separate PCI/AGP Frequency (MHz). It says in my book "The values depend on CPU Host Frequency (MHz). :miffed:

I personally don't over-clock anymore. To costly for the little gain. Back when you could get a major jump for free, it was worth it. These new video cards are being pushed so hard already, I don't want to push them any further.

A normal overclocking should be ok. The day this all went bad I was testing the water-cooling system to se how high I could push the CPU. Not even thinking about the rest of the hardware.

I added a video ram temp probe and found the ram runs at 92 degrees at idle and just playing Unreal brings it over 100+ That is with the RAM heatsinks glued on and the temp probe on top of them. I would hate to find out the temp without the heatsinks.

Moderation is always best. Or a motherboard with seperate Freq controls for everything. :)

13. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

On all the new mobos, the AGP/PCI frequency is locked, so no matter how high you push your FSB, youre not gonna mess up anything but your CPU.

Your ram wont get messed unless you seriously overvolt it.

Your radeon ram might have gone due to long term overclocking and deficient cooling. Especially as the airflow through the case decreases when you watercool, so heat might not have been removed from the RAM chips adequately.

14. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

I am not an expert at all when it comes to BIOS settings, but have several books in front of me.

My current motherboard Gigabyte GA-7VAXP clearly states the memory timing is locked. (DRAM) That is true. YES you are correct.

But the PCI/AGP Freq is not. It will continue to increase "Dependent" on CPU Host Freq. Boosting the CPU freq will increase the PCI/AGP bus and GPU and (Video Ram).

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP was a disappointment in the fact I could not control the PCI/AGP Freq. My mistake in purchase.

On an older ABIT KA7-100 book it had a chart for this increase. It went like this:

CPU FSB/PCI clocks
    100/33 Normal
    103/34
    105/35

I won't post the whole chart. To long. But you get the idea.

Most new motherboards are getting better. I guess the best advice is to check the motherboard's book to see what can be changed, what will change, and what is locked.
    :idea:

15. waylander667

waylander667 What's a Dremel?

hey RedHawk I see you have the same res as my self though you only fill it up 3/4 full dont you get air in the system?? what pump are you using?? anytime I have the slightest ammount of air in my res it gets chrned up and dragged down in to the system :duh:

16. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

If you have the water going in the right direction, you would almost have to have the reservoir empty to get any air bubbles. I have drawn a picture for you of the correct direction to stop air bubbles.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

17. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

:rock: It helps ......

18. TMM

TMM Modder

edit: lol at myself, i i should read closer :p

Last edited: 21 Jan 2004
  19. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Don't meant to be rude but that's just plain wrong. Changing the multiplier doesn't affect anything but the CPU. No exceptions. Altering the FSB affects the speed you're running your RAM at (system RAM not video RAM) - though many mainboards give you the choice in the BIOS to clock your RAM differently to the FSB by dividers - and can affect the speed of the PCI and AGP buses. This DOESN'T mean the cards are overclocked, only that the data pathway between them and the CPU is overclocked. And as for 'overclocking' your hard drive :hehe: I don't know where you heard that but it's not true.

Hope this clears a few things up. Sorry to hear about your gfx card getting ruined.

20. Juggernaught

Juggernaught What's a Dremel?

That's a nasty way to die! I ripped off two chips on my 9700Pro. Do you still have that dead card? I'm searching for parts for mine. ;)