Apple Hackintosh

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djzic, 15 Nov 2010.

1. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Hi,

I decided today, screw windows! No, I'm not moving over to Linux/Unix, I want to build a Hackintosh! Now I know that my CPU and Mobo work on OSX but I've been looking on google for an hour with no awnser to my question: does Hackintosh support the HD 5830? If the 5870 does, then I'd imagine the 5830 does too (they share the same pcb and it is the same chip only with some of the ROPS lasered off) but I might be wrong there.

Ta

2. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Well, tbh, I found that the simplest way with hackintoshes is to just try and see. That's what I did with my atom board :)

3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

What's wrong with Windows for you?

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Do the boxed copies of OSX that Apple sells at their stores work with PCs that we assemble?

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It's the bios thats the problem. Apple uses the EFI bios, which doesn't work on windows, although it will be coming soon. I'm sure a type of emulator is used to replicate the bootloader and to get the Pc to boot.After that you can then use it and dual boot from it as well.

When apple changed over to X86 architecture with OSX it opened to the doors for the Hakintosh before that is was a non starter.

6. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

You just have to use the chameleon bootloader... but I wanted to know would the 5870 drivers work on a 5830 as it is the same card with a couple less ROPS.

7. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

:

Last edited: 17 Nov 2010
  8. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

No, you need to use modified kernels and drivers custom created usually, and you need a new bootloader, but if you download a good version, the only thing you'll need to do is tick the right checkboxes.

9. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

10. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I can tell you that none of those problems are as a result of Windows, so don't expect OS X to fix your problems. Get a stable overclock and make sure your ram hasn't gone to pot before you go around willy nilly blaming Windows.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2010
  11. wyx087

wyx087 Multimodder

for someone who don't post their amount of RAM, instead, just the useless data of RAM speed and timing seems pretty informed on how Windows uses its resource. if overclock makes BSOD, but no overclock doesn't, surely the logical thing to do is to tweak your overclock, changing to OSX will just give you kernel panic.

on hackintosh, it's easy to get it going the hard part is to find all the kext to make every element of your computer to work. and also which version you are going to go for, 10.6.5, the latest one? or older, but have more tutorial?

12. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I don't understand this unless you are modding a Mac case whats the point? The only reason I would go to mac is because of the looks!

13. MaverickWill

Wait, wut?

How do you know your hardware's capable of 4.7GHz? Is this the result of hours of slow, methodical tinkering, followed by a 24-hour stress test using something like Prime95, or is this "Well, I've got to boot into Windows once, so it must manage it!", or worse still "My friend/neighbour/techie down the shop/PC magazine reviewer got it that way on identical hardware, so I must be able to too!"?

No 2 pieces of hardware are the same. Each one will be slightly different, and require different things. Your CPU may need too much voltage, your motherboard might get a bit flaky after a certain FSB/BCLK, the memory may be slightly wobbly with tight timings - it's all the luck of the draw. As we always say, YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary.

The only way to be sure your overclock is rock-solid is to use a stressing program like Prime95 and hammer it at 100% for 24 hours solid. Once you've done that, then you can say "This is my overclock. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

14. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

You won't be running many games without directx. DirectX doesn't even matter if you are not playing a game. If you play so many games with directx then OSX is definitely not for you....

Also BSODs are not common with windows. You should check your hardware as recommended. I have my computer on for weeks now and it is super stable.

One of the reason why Macs are so stable is because all drivers, hardware, and software is filtered through Apple. Windows on the otherhand is an open platform with tons of mismatching hardware and software. If you are going to install OSX, you won't get the same level of stability.

15. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

I'm sure it windows not letting me boot at 4.7 as I've run SuperPi stably for 48 hours on ubuntu.
    And about stability... It's based on UNIX which is more stable. And again, BSODS are not down to hardware, I left my machine running on ubuntu for 4 days and no problems... god, the minute I criticize windows...

and as for version of osx I have 10.6.2. I will be patching kexts etc from an Install DVD.

16. MaverickWill

Quick Q - were you running Ubuntu from a LiveCD? SATA HDDs are more sensitive to overclocks than any other peripheral component, and much more-so than CDs. That wouldn't be Windows' fault either. :p

Besides, your sig says you're running at 4.5GHz (a terrific overclock anyway). Is the extra 200MHz worth losing DirectX?

17. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

How do you know your hardware is capable of 4.7GHz? If windows doesn't boot your OC is unstable, surely? If you're getting loads of BSOD's and instability with your current (4.5GHz?) OC then to me that says you don't have a stable overclock there either.

Of course, I've only dabbled with overclocking myself so I'm no expert, but I for one run windows 7 without any errors. Ever. It was the same with Vista before that, come to think of it. The only time I've ever seen a BSOD in 7 is when I set an unstable overclock.

The only resource the windows services on my machine seem to "hog" is RAM, but even with 4GB I have way more than I ever need. I guess if you're really in need of more RAM and can't afford to get more then you might complain that Windows uses too much... but I can't imagine what you'd be doing in that situation that you feel you'd be able to do better running OS X.

p.s. the reason everyone questions your overclocking skills when you rant about how much you hate windows is because so many people here use windows all the time and no issues of the kind you describe. If your system is unstable there must be another reason for it and a 4.5GHz overclock is a tad suspicious. What happens when you run stock settings? That would be the easiest way to find out what is really causing the problem.

edit - posted before reading all replies, sorry for duplicate argument :D

18. new_world_order

new_world_order 4.0 GHz Dremel

The only way MicroSoft could make a product that didn't suck was if they decided to get into the Vacuum Cleaner business.

:)

19. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

The machine I use 90% of the time is my Macbook Pro, but I still have my windows PC for gaming, blu-ray etc.

My Win7 machine is 100% stable, windows has never crashed out on me. I have had to hard-reset it from time to time but that has always been due to a buggy game (Day 1 new-vegas, GTA IV)

If you are having problems with your PC and you're using a normal legit copy of win7 that is patched and up to date and not full of crudware and you're using stable software and still going through BSOD hell then...

You have bad hardware. Moving to a Mac will sort that one out (kinda) but hackintoshing your rig will not cure your problem.

I'm +1 with the issue being you do not have a stable overclock. If you did the machine would boot!

20. Matticus

Matticus ...

The single greatest problem I had with hackintosh was my 5770 in my other machine. The motherboard and cpu were just perfect for hackintosh but my 5770 was not.

I have not tried it on my main machine, but I have a feeling it would also cause some headaches with my 5850.

Why not just stick with Linux, its what all the cool kids are using. :D