1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Clicking.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sui_winbolo, 21 Jul 2005.

1. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

OKay, so this morning I went to turn on my computer, when I did I heard this clicking sound. I thought okay, nothing big, but it kept clicking for about the three minutes I had the computer on. I could tell a slow down from it. Is my HDD dieing? It's a WD 40GB HDD, I bought it from a guy on another forums. This is the first time this happened. Do you think it still has warrenty? It was man. ON Feb. 23 2003. Do I need anything like proff of purchase to RMA it? PLease help!

Edit: I'm on my computer right now, no problems at all like usual.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I think this was a problem with some WD drives, it clicks and just keeps slowing down until eventually it isn't recognised by the BIOS.

I'd back everything up that you need to and try and RMA it. If the data is really important, you could contact a recovery company instead of risking it by trying to grab it quickly while the drive is working.

Edit: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery-western-digital-caviar.htm

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

oh deer, sounds like its going to die.

check the numbers on the lable and if it mentions a expire date or something. Check online on WD website and you might be able to enter your details on there and should be able to tell you if you can RMA it.

Only disk ive RMA was Maxtor which did a quick turnaround. Maxtor will even send you out a new one before you send the faulty one back. Do have to have a credit card and give them your details, incase they send you one and you dont send one back. But its very good service, just a shame their drives aint up ot standard.

Maybe WD do the same kind of service. Drives do have a 3 year warrenty usually.

Try it and find out.

http://www.wdc.com/en/index.asp?Language=en

4. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

It be the click of death. Backup your stuff and don't be surprised when something horrible happens to that drive.

5. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

death cometh

Yep you better get you data while you can! Dath cometh quickly to that HDD. I havehad a few older ones begin the click of death and they usually don't last to long after they start.
    Good Luck! :thumb:

6. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Last edited: 21 Jul 2005
  7. padrejones2001

Nope, it's not software related, it's hardware failure.

8. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I know it's not software related, but I mean can they legaly view anything on the hdd? Well I guess it doesn't matter now, it cannot be RMA'd, it's past warrenty.

9. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

Trust no-one :worried:

10. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Haha, boy am I glad I got a copy of Knoppix, so if my hdd does puke, I can still get access to internet.

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Run some SMART diagnostics on the drive, see what it pulls back. Might also be a good idea to run WD's data lifeguard (iirc) tool and see what that brings back.

Sounds like the disc is gonna fail soon tho, but considering you can get a new 120gigger for under 50 quid new....

12. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

13. padrejones2001

I wouldn't even try the diagnostics, the disc is going to die shortly. Back up all of your stuff that seems important to you, and order up a new disc.
    Western Digital Diagnostics.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2005
  14. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I got the program from WD and took a screenshot, I see no option for diagnostics.

15. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

my dads maxtor doesn't like computers :eeek:

comes up with 'primary master fails' or get to the windows loading then restarts, not when you try format it in windows instalation it's supposidly not reconised>? :nono: any ideas?

16. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I recall a few Maxtor drives having a problem with firmware corruption or something like that which caused them to hang the computer. What's the drive identified as in the BIOS? The problem caused them to identify by their family name rather than the model.

17. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

grr it just sais maxtor... which means it's basically fubared is my guess... it use to say maxtor 'fd373490s' or something :waah:

18. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Try a different IDE cable. I tried my WD drive (the one I'm talking about) with the IDE cable I got with my motherboard, doesn't reconize the drive. Switch IDE cable, works. Tried the flat cable that came with my mb on my secondary drive, works. Wierd. =/

19. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

iv'e searched it up and it's firmware curruption... ;)

20. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I found the problem, and I'm pretty sure what's going on. I believe it's my rounded IDE cable, it's little old and has been bent and all that good stuff alot. I touched it recently to take out my cdrom for a mod I was doing. Anyways I turn on system when I put everything back, it started clicking again at restart. Turned off computer, unplugged my hdd, re-plugged it works. No problems and it's been about 4 days now. Just a touchy round IDE cable. Sorry for bringing up my old thread, but hey, it's my thread, so bite me. :p