Overclocking HELP - No Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ParanoidESE, 8 Apr 2011.

1. ParanoidESE

ParanoidESE What's a Dremel?

Intel Core quad 6600 overclocked to about 2950mhz
    HIS Excalabur X1950 Graphics
    4GB 800DDR 4x 1gb (two matched pairs)
    1TB Raptors (2x 500GB Raid 0) Sata
    Antec p180 case
    Infinity 975 X motherboard
    Seagate 800w PSU

I did a bios update, and cleared the cmos so had to start from scratch. I put in all the right settings, but when I got to the Genie bios settings noticed that the FSB was set at 200hmz with the cpu running at 1800mhz

I turned it up to 266 which should be the stock setting for the cpu and the pc wont boot.

I have C1E function (speedstep) disabled.

Can anyone spread any light on what has happened?

Thanks

Steve

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I would first check to see you've flashed it with the right bios update or go back to the one it was on before if everything goes back to normal then you'll know it was a dud update.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

did you reset the bios back to stock speeds before the update? and then give it a second reset after the update?

4. ParanoidESE

Ok, I have reset the cmos like 5 times. I have the cpu running at just 200mhz fsb. I have no idea why it is running at 1.8ghz with a 9 multiplyer. Now my pc boots but will not load windows. It just resets itself during windows startup, even in safe mode. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

5. ParanoidESE

Have moved the bios to original bios. The pc is still stuck at 1.8ghz with an fsb or just 200 mhz. Can anyone help please!!!

6. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

for boot issues only think I would suggest is to make sure your hd's (as they are set up for raid) are set up properly in bios..

If you have a spare hd maybe pull the raid and sub in the spare to see if you can get an install going... all though I dont see that causing the default clock speed issue...

As for clock issues.. it kind of sounds like the flash didnt take right... or there may be an issue with the ram (pull all but one stick).. verify the voltages and default multipliers (ram, cpu and chipset) maybe change them, save, then change them back just to make sure things are set as they are being displayed..

7. ParanoidESE

Thanks again. I had to reset the CMOS using the jumper about 4 times. Installed a earlier bios. The initial "stock" speed to the cpu was still just with a FSB of 200mhz, but it has now allowed me to run with a fsb of 330mhz (2.95ghz cpu speed) and it stable.

I still have no idea why the cpu was running at just 1.8 ghz at stock (200mhz FSB). There is also a new option in the bios:

FSB 800 MHZ CPU enhanced mode.

With my quad core running do I need this enabled or disabled? I am still unsure about these things.

Thx

Steve