Hovering Pc

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Yeti, 25 Aug 2003.

1. Yeti

Yeti What's a Dremel?

:rolleyes:
    Now the plan is to build a hovering pc using a micro atx motherboard with on-board sound and vga. and then network it to my lain-li.

So far i have the motherboard and lan card and cpu and ram. Now time to find a suitable case, having afew problems with this one, i was hopeing i could pick a small aluminuim case up from maplin but they all seem to be 2" high :sigh:

Links if pics don't work
    http://matts.no-ip.com/images/hov1.jpg
    http://matts.no-ip.com/images/hov2.jpg
    http://matts.no-ip.com/images/hov3.jpg

Pics, hopefully
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This may take a while to complete, so any advice would be most welcome.

P.S. Why do my pics never work?????

Last edited: 25 Aug 2003
  2. Yeti

Yeti What's a Dremel?

Maybe this will work?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Never will know why my pics don't work!!!

3. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Sounds like a cool plan to hover your pc around. I've seen someone do it before, but I cant seem to find that one anymore.

But to be honest, is it useful...

4. Yeti

Yeti What's a Dremel?

Unique rather than useful.

Got any ideas where I can get a case? about 250mm X 200mm X 80mm

5. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

make your own... if you want to do it the right way, do it the diy way. That way you'll have the smallest case possible for your hardware, and probably the lightest as well :)

And indeed, unique is the right word :clap:

6. Yeti

Yeti What's a Dremel?

Help

Can u make a pc case out of balsa?

Aluminium may be too heavy!!!

I have plans for a r/c hovercraft, now trying to combine them with a case and make it suitable for my project.

I have had a cool idea of running 5 metre's of cables to it and having r/c gear on-board. MAYBE LATER!!!

Anybody have any helpful tips on getting my case to hover and what case material to use?

Sizes mentioned already.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Why bother with cable? Bodge together a laptop battery based PSU and some WiFi kit and you're rolling! (well... flying) Then make it control the hovercraft through its serial or parallel port. That would rock

8. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

Sounds like an interesting idea. Basically a high tech hover craft. I am slightly confused as the the use of sure a machine not taking into acount the 'because I can factor'.

I'd go with mclean007 and got wireless.

With regards to making the case you will need to do some serious research to get this thing to float. What I can tell you off hand is that the air pocket underneath will need to be completely uniform being directly relational to the weight over the specific area. ie. more weight at the back and a larger push will be required there. I would think your best bet would be to opt for a centre push design and completely ballance the case to the centre point.

[​IMG]

To build this I'd go custom aluminium construction all the way. It's the only way you'll make it small enough and the right shape.

You'll also want to cut out all the weight you can. Laptop HDDs and no CDRoms, or FDDs.

Good luck on this sounds like a brilliant idea!

HTH

9. EnderG60

EnderG60 What's a Dremel?

got get a RC hovercraft.....

only chance in hell your gonna have of getting that thing to float is with a skirt and a powerful fan

10. The Spyder

The Spyder What's a Dremel?

3 or 4 powerfull fans are needed at 3 or 4 corners of this floating object, a center fan will not work, due to you would have to PERFECTLY balance the load. Also you could use a center fan, and have 3 or more adjustable outer ones for balancing-

11. maeterlinck

a centre fan would work. the load would not have to be balanced that well say to within 10grams. the fan should push down evenly over 113cm^2 area - it is this that allows of the difference.
    Corner fans would be more difficult to impliment as they would have to be matched to push the same amount to air...
    I think the best solution as you mentioned Spyder would be to have the centre fan doing the main work with smaller outer fans to steady and correct the tilt. Two anologue tilt swtiches on perpendicular plains can give you the information to work this out.

Just a thought your going to need a fair bit on power to run both the computer and the fans needed to lift the thing and control it...

12. EnderG60

EnderG60 What's a Dremel?

thus my point its not gonna work without a skirt....the skirt will spread the lifting force alot more evenly.....centering the weight is still a must but not as much

13. maeterlinck

Is a skirt the rubber ring that goes around most comerially made hovercrafts?

14. dima y

dima y What's a Dremel?

ummm so how are you going to provide power to this contraption?

if you want to make it completly wireless then i would say you are screwed because the battary weight required to power both the computer and the "fan" will be hudge OR it will not last longer then 5 mins.

You can have a 12V power cord running to it i guess.

BTW i hope you are prepared to live with the noise, and that fact that this thing will be huge because you will need SOO much lift force.

lets see:

5 Kg for weight (approximation) * 9.8 (m / sec^2) = 49 Newtons of force.

lets say for the sake of the argument that ALL the force the FAN motor is applied to air.

torque = Force * (arm length)

Force = torque / (arm length)

so for say a 1 meter long fan blades (2 meters wide fan) you have to have 49 Newton / meters of torque.

http://www.pheatonforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1200&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=275

his thing with 4 motors produces about 623 Newton / meters of torque so about 156 per motor. Each one weighs OVER 2 KG so go figure.

Nice idea and good luck, but you cant bend the laws of Physics

15. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

lol, n e one remember that show, crystal maze. i think your room would be like that with all the paper flying around if u got that thing to work. either that or ur gonna need alot of paper weights :naughty:

16. Yeti

Yeti What's a Dremel?

Ok

The whole idea comes from visiting this site
    http://www.btinternet.com/~mark.e.porter/2000tdx.html

The power supply is gunna be an anchor, so it doesn't float away, maybe r/c in future but just hovering to start with.

I have the plans for a model hovercraft, just getting the parts to make it, modding it to fit a motherboard. it will have 1 harddrive and is gunna be networked to my lian-li. These R/C hovercrafts have only one fan to lift a 1 metre long craft. it's all down to the airflow and skirt. i have it all figured out, i will be updating this with pics as soon as i have the parts and made a start.

17. maeterlinck

cool - sounds like you know exactly where this is going!

had a look at that web page - some amazing work there! So detailed...

18. dima y

dima y What's a Dremel?

never mind if you are going to use the skirt then it all is WAY different, i though you wanted it to hover in mid air.

19. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

if you get it to lift off the ground the side with the hsf is -obviously- going to be heavier, thus veering the whole thing off to the side, so you-ll have to find a way to pretty much perfectly distribute the weight on all sides:rock:

20. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

looking forward to this project :D