1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to paint plastic?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by monkeyville, 10 Feb 2005.

1. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Hey all.

I am looking at spraying my LCD monitor a nice shade of black however i am a bit of a n00b when it comes to how i should spray things. Only painting i ever did was with a roller.

What kind of paint should i buy and what should i avoid? I want a very matt finish and don't want it to peel and would like it to look as proffesional as possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated

2. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

Krylon Fusion is excellent for painting plastic

3. D1lazarus

D1lazarus What's a Dremel?

Yep. Krylon Fusion works great on plastics. Just make sure to take your time and do the prep work and you will have a great result.

4. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

vinyl paint/die works well because the color is actually absorbed into the plastic. I am not sure if there is a large variety in colors, but can go wrong with black :thumb:

5. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

painters choice or touch... whichever, worked fine on my xbox, just put at least 1 layer of that primer, then any spraypaint should work, but stay away from metallics as they never really seem to dry.

6. Rimmer

Rimmer What's a Dremel?

I can paint it for you any colour you like.
    I own the company responsible for painting these
    White Cobra
    Blue Cobra

7. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

I like using krylon fusion or dye. I'm not a fan of the spray on dye stuff, so i only use dye if the part can fit in a pan.

8. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

I have a can of Krylon Fusion and let me tell you it SUCKS. On metal that is. Not sure how well it works on plastic but, I would imagine that since that is what it was designed for...

9. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

why did you use krylon on metal when it is meant for plastic.

10. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

for metallics, I generally apply 2 coats of krylon light grey, followed by sanding,then a coat of flat black, 2 coats of clear gloss (most likely future floor wax [yes it's cheap acrylic paint]) and 3-4 coats of the metallic color I want. for normal non-metallics, I just apply a coat of primer, light sanding, then painting the color I want and depending on the finish, clear or flat final coat.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Tis made for plastics, why would you expect it to work on metal?

Sand it well, apply primer, and do lots of light coats. You'll be good to go :thumb:

12. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I'd just vinyl dye it, quick easy and looks great after about 4 coats.

13. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

I used it metal because it said "also works great on metals....." Had primer in it so I thought that since it was my first paintjob - a single can that could prime and paint was a great idea. It runs quite easily on metal, and just plain sucks compared to the can of duplicolor I picked up.

14. monkeyville

Ok Krylon Fusion is not erasy found in Britain(to the best of my knowledge), so where would i go about getting vinyl die etc?????

I am in the centre of Manchester i cannot find a single art/hobby shop anywhere. Can anybody recommend one

15. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Your local hardware store should have it. This is what i use.

[​IMG]

16. monkeyville

Cheers at least i know what to look out for now. Now all i need to do is find out where the local hardware store is. Anybody know of one in Manchester??

17. Whowalks

Whowalks What's a Dremel?

Iv tryed plastic paints and they leave a coating over the plastic and can be easily pealed off Iv used muffler paint for my bike its mat black and seams to be absorbed by the plastic it works great on front pannels for cdrom/dvdrom

18. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

Normally I use vinyl dye whenever painting plastics. A few months back, I decided to paint my monitor black, using Krylon Fusion. After all the prep work and everything, it still looks horrible. I've never had good luck with any Krylon product, and I won't use them anymore.

I'd recommend either SEM ColorCoat or DupliColor vinyl dye. Both are made specifically for plastics and come in a wide variety of colors. The SEM can be harder to find, but most automotive paint supply stores carry it (as well as many upholstery shops.)