1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Immutable Distros

Discussion in 'Software' started by RedFlames, 29 Jun 2024.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Somewhat related, potentially, maybe, to the homelab discussions of @Byron C and @meandmymouth i've been looking at immutable/'micro' distros which mostly seem to be intended to run containers atop something like a pi or a modest VM.

Long story short... i'm struggling to wrap my head around them so i'm putting the questions out there -

Anyone used such distros [SUSE MicroOS, Fedora CoreOS or the like]?
    What did you use them for?
    Are/were they the monumental pain in the arse to set up work with as they appear to be?

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I’ve not actually used any of these directly, I’ll be honest. I do prefer the most lightweight image possible for Docker containers, so if there’s a container image based on Alpine Linux for whatever software I’m trying to run, I’ll probably use that one. But it gets a bit messy when you start having to add custom components/libraries in order to deploy a custom image.

For me, that’s the main limitation with these extremely cut-down Linux distributions: they lack many of the package management and userspace tools that I’m familiar with.

If I had to choose… I’d probably pick Ubuntu Core, purely because Ubuntu is the distro I’m most familiar with.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Multimodder

On Proxmox, I have a "CT template" call "debian turnkey core". I run it as an LXC and then install Docker to run everything. This allows me to easily back it up with standard Proxmox backup scheduling.

Similarly I wanted something lightweight but not too cut down that I can't follow online tutorials. I don't remember running into any problems following tutorials for running stuff on Debian.

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I've also not used any of those distros mentioned. Similar to wyx087 I use a specif image under Proxmox, however it's a VM image instead of CT template. I use the ubuntu cloud images as they are pretty lightweight and then use cloud-init for basic configuration like default user, password, hostname, ssh key, networking etc. A good guide on this here - https://technotim.live/posts/cloud-init-cloud-image/

Byron C likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This’ll be useful to read, thanks :happy: