1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing new SATA drive problems...help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darth Joules, 29 Sep 2005.

1. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

I have just installed a new SATA 74Gb Raptor hard disk into my PC (see my sig below) and removed all the EIDE drives. So that WinXP will install the SATA drive only, with no fuss and I can install the EIDE drives back in later for reformating and what-not....of course it's all gone rather pear shaped rather than plain sailing!!! :wallbash:

The PC POSTed fine after putting in the SATA drive, but it could not see the SATA drive (from within WinXP initial installation/drive setup). So I restarted and this time hit CRTL+F to get into the Auto Setup Fastbuild Config Utility within the BIOS before WinXP CD fires up and tries to install again. OK, this Utility could see the new SATA hard disk....so I set it up for "performance" (stripe, apparently) even though there is only one disk. Mobo manual says it can be built with either 1 or 2 drives. The only other option is "security" (mirrored).

Rebooted and allowed WinXP to try to install again....and it still could not see the drive. So, maybe I'm thinking I should have used the F6 option to install FastTrak 376 drivers. The mobo has a built in Promise RAID controler and both SATA sockets on the mobo are RAID enabled. So options come up and I hit "S", but then when I pop in the floppy disk WinXP required it could not find the "txtsetup.oem" file on the floppy....bugger!!! :wallbash: Nothing again!!! :wallbash:

I may have copied the files wrong, but I did exactly as the manual said "...copy the files inside root Promise from CD". Which looks like this within the the Promse folder of the mobo CD (I've included sub folders too):

\FastTrak376
    > \winxp
    > \98-me
    > \win2000
    > \nt-4
    \MBFastTrak133
    > \winxp
    > \98-me
    > \win2000
    > \nt-4

So there are two folders under "Promise", "FastTrak376" and "MBFastTrak133". Both have a "txtsetup.oem" file inside plus the subfolders (winxp, nt-4, etc) containing their relivant files, exactly the same as is on the floppy copy I made. But something is not working! :confused:

I have no idea what may be wrong or what I may have done wrong. To say that the Chaintech mobo manual is crap is an understatement....nothing about installing to a SATA drive, just stuff about RAID and FastTrak376. The main BIOS (not the Fastbuild Config Utility) is pretty bare bones, there is absolutely nothing within that appears to have anything to do with SATA controllers. All PC connections are fine. :confused:

Any help would be most welcome....before I make this Raptor hard disk as exstinct as the dinosaur its named after. :grr:

2. andyunder

andyunder What's a Dremel?

the first thing i would try is to click this link to get the latest drivers for the sata then i would try again.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've always used the F6 option, and installed the SATA drivers at Windows install... always works just fine.

4. TMM

TMM Modder

copy all the contents of the "FastTrak376" directory straight to the floppy so that txtsetup.oem is directly on the floppy, and the only folders are the winxp, 98-me etc ones

5. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Yes, I finally realised that's the way I should have done it. WinXP is now loading onto the SATA drive.

However, for some bizarre reason the WinXP disk has designated the SATA drive as H: and not C:. I've heard this can happen, but how do I get it to be C:? There are no other hard drives connected to my PC, there is only one EIDE connection to my DVD drive. :confused:

That's what I've done. But can I just go the F6 option by itself or do I have to use the "Auto Setup Fastbuild Config Utility" first and set the drive up as striped drive even though there is only one. The boot screen with the RAID details has the drive as "1+0 stripe" and "74Gb"....is this the correct way of setting up the drive before WinXP installation? :confused:

6. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

I finally got the effing PC to see my Raptor SATA drive as C: drive by having these settings in the BIOS:

First Boot Device - Floppy
    Second Boot Device - CD-ROM
    Third Boot Device - Disabled

Promise RAID was left enabled

I had to use the "Auto Setup Fastbuild Config Utility" first before doing the F6 option when the WinXP CD begins installing the OS. If I didn't the WinXP installation could not see the SATA hard disk to install to and just crashes to a rather odd blue screen.

Anyway, did the "Auto Setup Fastbuild Config Utility" and set the drive to "performance" (stripe). It marked the hard disk as a bootable array. Let the WinXP CD fire up, hit F6 and installed the FastTrak 376 drivers from floppy, partitioned the hard disk into C: (15Gb) and D: (58Gb) and then got the WinXP CD to install to the formatted C: drive partition.

Everything going well so far, except for a warning screen during WinXP install saying some software didn't pass the logo test. A bit worrying as I don't think I've had that before when installing to an EIDE hard disk. Clicked "no" and let it get on with installing. When it finished, the PC rebooted and....I get a black screen saying there's a fault with the WinXP install!! Rebooting with the WinXP CD I discover that it cannot see the SATA hard disk again!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

This is really beginning to honk me right off SATA. I don't think it's a fault with the WinXP CD, but with the way my PC tries to see SATA drives (it is almost 2 years old). I don't really know what's going on or how to fix it, so I only have two options left:

1) Put my two old EIDE disks back inside the way they were and reboot my PC. It should behave as if nothing had happened since the master hard disk still has a working OS on it, and neither were reformatted.

2) Put in a spanking new unformatted EIDE disk and attempt to install WinXP on that (which should work fine).

I've pretty much decided to give the Raptor the boot. It was a luxury purchase that's turned into a torture excercise :grr: , so I'm gonna stick with good ol' EIDE drives (which I understand) and just live without the faster transfer speeds and seek times of the Raptor. All I was original going to do was re-install WinXP on my EIDE drives (which I had to do). :rolleyes: I'll get my hands dirty with SATA when i build my new rig next year. :sigh:

So I might have a new (but obiviously used a little) 74Gb Raptor for sale.... :duh: :sigh: