1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Interference

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueMax, 23 Feb 2004.

1. BlueMax

BlueMax What's a Dremel?

this is just absolutely crazy.

it doesn't add up! all logic has been thrown aside! I'm confused as hell.

I installed battlefield 1942, and the static and distortion occurs as well (on the hard/loud notes, like gun fire or explosions).

it was weird, because along with the regular static, some really weird noises were going on too (like when my sound first started messing up, two weeks ago). bleeps and pops and whistles, interesting stuff. definitely not part of the game.

I've tried everything. I'm ready to give up, but I can't. Because I'm an audiophile. the only reason I have this computer is for mp3s (the main reason anyway) and games.

a person on another board suggested putting linux (or knoppix) on here, and seeing if it does it. that's an interesting suggestion. perhaps I can put Windows 2000 on here too. We'll see. thanks for all your help, guys!

also, with closer inspection, the distortion and static ALSO occurs with the equalizer at "normal" also. so it gets worse when I manipulate the equalizer, but not manipulating it most certainly does not stop it.

I wish I could try something else. But I can't. There's nothing left!

Interesting point: I reinstalled Windows last night (seventh time in a week) and installed NOTHING after it, I immediately played an mp3 off a CD-R, and it distorted and "staticized." With NOTHING installed! No drivers, no Winamp, just Media Player. It distorted from the start!!! (I'm still using the old gigabyte mobo by the way, the Abit is laying off to the side)

I was almost positive it was my mp3s then, so I got my friend to rip my music CD that I had (where the mp3 came from) and he gave me yet another copy of the same mp3, and I played it, and it STILL did it. so it's not the mp3s.

It has to be demons.

2. Pandalet

Pandalet What's a Dremel?

out of interest, have you tried filtering your mains power? Both to the PC and to the speakers? The PC PSU should filter all the nasty out, but many don't. You'd need to get a decent mains filter (or a UPS with one) for this to have any effect, but it might be worth a try?

3. kt3946

kt3946 What's a Dremel?

I agree, but I think we have verified that at this point, it is a *hardware* problem. How long have you had this board?

I would suggest looking into the RMA feature of your retailer, and seeing about getting a replacement on the way. It sounds like the analog section of your board is fruiting out for some reason.

You can try a different 'higher-quality' power supply too, if you want, but I doubt that will change anything.

Good Luck!

4. BlueMax

BlueMax What's a Dremel?

I've already tried a different PSU.....so I don't think that's the problem.

I would have already RMAed the motherboard back by now, but when my old motherboard did it as well, I got discouraged.

My old motherboard definitely did not do it before I bought the new Abit one. Now it does. So I don't think it's the motherboard.

5. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Could it be a dodgy hard drive, cd rom player or another add - in card that is faulty in some way and is pumping out interference?

or maybe the thin sound cable connecting the cd rom to the sound card is being routed too close to a fan, the psu or some other part of the system that is creating noise?

I know that the above are both unlikely, but it could be worth a look if your'e sure the motherboard and the software drivers aren't to blame.

Have you tried listening through earphones? I know youv'e tested the speakers on another rig, but no harm double checking that the speakers aren't to blame.

6. BlueMax

BlueMax What's a Dremel?

Aight guys, I'm at home now (110 miles from campus). I switched out cases and put all my components back in my old case.

Static and distortion still occur.

I'm using yet another different set of speakers, and it still happens. I don't know what to do. Just doesn't make sense.

The static and distortion are barely there, that's what's so aggravating! Just when you think it's all over with, you still hear it. Barely.

:wallbash:

7. Pandalet

Pandalet What's a Dremel?

As The Bodger suggested, have you tried running the PC without any of its bits? i.e. take out anything that isn't absolutely necessary (NIC, extra HDDs, DVD/CD, etc.), and see if that makes any difference.