1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide JTGGG's guide to hacking almost eny controller for pc

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kobaj, 11 Dec 2004.

1. kobaj

kobaj Banned

****** read my sig for disclaimer******

Well I love playing Halo and I wanted the true gaming experience. After finding an old n64 controller I new this could work,well acualy no it wouldnt work. So I got to thinking what would work. I didnt want to make a controller for only computer I also wanted to use it with the original system. Then I fugured why not do the ps2 controller, easy interface,easy software,and one of the best (my opinion) controllers out there. So I first wired the thing up, I
    used this schematic
    [​IMG]
    and after a while I buit it in a small box leaving no room ,crossing wires...tested and nothing I got mad and left it. But you know I am not a man to leave my projects so then I then buit it again with a bigger box but still the wires touched...tested got mad and left. But it was calling to me from the side of my desk "alright" I said. I finaly found this nice 5" by 2" bo xkinda big but I neaded all the room. Well started with all this

[​IMG]
    and then got a little further, used heat shrink this time

[​IMG] and the final

[​IMG] I then used thease programs
    * Psxpad. http://www.psxpad.com/index_e.php
    * NTpad. http://www.ntpad.com.ar/
    * For xp.
    If those dont work there are others out there.
    I pluged it in a third time and it finaly works, althought it does take a while to get used to it, and every onec in a while it will not read the button command for half a second. Now I know there are guides that requier diodes and I wanted to spend as little money as possible so improvize.
    cost: (me) $0.00
    time: (me) 1:00 hour
    skill level: little more than easy
    Now in the pictures it doesnt show the
    other plug but all I did was cut the ps2's end off six inches from the end and then just soldered it back on then from those solders I hacked the power cord and parellel port cable to it. Also not all ps2 cable colors are the same I suggest you see whitch cable goes to whitch pin through a multy-meter.And if I can remmember what I was going to say I would tell you.COmments, Suggestion welcome untill then I'll be wooping arse in Halo.
    Edit : Sorry about image size, Ill resize them when I get time.(click them if you dont understand)

Last edited: 13 Dec 2004
  2. modding-monkey

modding-monkey What's a Dremel?

Sounds cool mite give it a go. :thumb:

3. kobaj

kobaj Banned

I knew I had forgot something,supply list.
    1.small box
    2.molex connecter
    3.ps2 controller
    4.parellel port connecter(I just got mine off an old printer)
    5.(optional) 9 volt power connecter for duel vibrater support
    6.heatshrink
    7.solder
    Tools
    1.soldering iron
    2.tweezers(optional, but I found them useful)
    And I think that is it. Happy modding.
    And the negative of the nine volt goes with the other negatives(molex,ect)
    And the nine volt batter clip is only there because I used it once, if you want to alwase use it I suggest you get it from someware elts.

4. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

You can use a 9v regulator to get 9v off the 12v line from the molex... Does this work on a PS1 controller also?

5. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

why not use a XboX controler, it's easier to mod + halo is made for it

6. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Yes it works on ps1 controllers, I think the pinout colors are different though.

Thats next. I was going to make a guide to hacking eny controller so soon I will do it with that.

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Alternately if you want to be lazy and adjust the strength of your FF, just hook a small rheo up to the 12v line then to that 9v point.

8. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Xbox controller

Well I'm at it again, ps2 is fine but for the real experience I decided to go with Xbox next. This one is much simpler, because it is the most advanced so far controller I know of it will worked with usb. The parellel port was just to slow, like for the ps2 the usb was to fast. It is just like the other just cut the cable six inches from the endand solder it back together. This one wont requier a molex or extra power supply because usb supplies it. And once again I did this mod, and I didnt want to spend money. So first the victim
    [​IMG](yes I spent the time to resize them)
    this is the schematic I used, remmember the colors might be different so use a multy-meter and test.
    [​IMG] then when all done I didnt nead a box because there werent so many wires.
    [​IMG]
    and I used this driver
    *http://sourceforge.net/projects/xboxhid/
    it works for me
    *xp
    But the controller is a little big in my small hands so I am going to stick with the ps2 one.
    cost: (me) nothing
    time: 30 minutes (im geting fast)
    skill: easy
    supply list
    1. Xbox controller
    2. usb connecter
    3. solder
    Tools
    1. soldering iron
    happy modding.
    What do you want modded next(hmm...maybey this one can be the acual gaming port)
    Edit:The reostate(sp?) idea with the ps2 should work fine.

9. smoguzbenjamin

Hmmm, kewl. I'd like to see a PS2 controller on a gameport next, I plan on using my parralel port for an LCD. And I can't get xbox controllers as cheaply as PS2 controllers, so.

And why doesn't an n64 controller work? I have one of those... :D

10. fg0d

fg0d Banned

11. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Hmm....ps2 on gameport why would I want to do that :rolleyes:. No just kidding, but like the Ps2 has the printer and the Xbox has the usb i'll look around for a controller that works with gameport and recreat it. Now for the n64, it is a very wierd controller. It only has one data pin so it has to send and recieve information very fast, and most ports on a computer are slow. And it requiers a ic that remembers what data that was sent from the n64 and then shoot it back at the printer port slower .And it has to gather all info from the printer port before it can throught it high speed at the n64, making it a slow controller to use with a pc. Besideds I think the n64 is a very (no affence ) but ugly big controller. :hehe:

12. kobaj

kobaj Banned

making your own controller for the game port

Ok I have relized why you cant control a normal remote bacause the printer ect ports are data and the game port is an acual direct input port for your computer.

This is a mod almost everyone can do, because it doest requier a controller, you make the controller.this one is quite simple all you nead is 4 push buttons and 4 pots to get a 4 button 2 axes controller and
    this is the pinout of a game port.
    Code:

o 1        1. +5 volts       Supply voltage
             9 o              2. Button 1       Push button 1 (joystick A)
                   o 2        3. Position 0     X coordinate
            10 o              4. Ground         Ground
                   o 3        5. Ground         Ground
            11 o              6. Position 1     Y coordinate
                   o 4        7. Button 2       Push button 2 (joystick A)
            12 o              8. +5 volts       Supply voltage
                   o 5        9. +5 volts       Supply voltage
            13 o             10. Button 3       Push button 1 (joystick B)
                   o 6       11. Position 2     X coordinate
            14 o             12. Ground         Ground
                   o 7       13. Position 3     Y coordinate
            15 o             14. Button 4       Push button 2 (joystick B)
                   o 8       15. +5 volts       Supply voltage 
    the buttons and such are wired up like so
    [​IMG]
    and the pots go were it says x and y in the pic the z an rz go into an exact copy except instaed of x its z and insted of y its rz(might be backwords)
    [​IMG](thanks how stuff works) put the setup in a box or take the guts out of a n64 controller and stuff it in there. You decide were to put it or even if you dont want 2 axes' or what (Im tring of how to make one of the axes' into more buttons) its your choice. Getting it working is easy.
    Start>control panel>printers and other devices>game controllers>add>how ever many poots and however many buttons> finish>then it should work and it should be able to use for other things not just game controllers.
    cost: (nothing)
    time: 20 minutes
    skill: easy smeazy
    supply list
    1. pots
    2. buttons
    3. gameport extension
    4. solder
    tools
    1. soldering iron
    these work great as throttles and pedals
    http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/rudtoe.htm
    http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/throt.htm

13. smoguzbenjamin

Those are cool flightsim links, thanks! :D

14. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

15. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

16. kobaj

kobaj Banned

**** I knew I was missing something(at least I remembered "how stuff works" )Thanks all the little people who helped with this guide, and I am sorta helping with you people with advertisment... no not realy.If you want me to make my own I will.

17. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

my fav controller is the gamecube, never seen anyone do a PC-USB thingy with it - is it possible?

18. smoguzbenjamin

Good news! A mate of mine has a USB converter -> N64 controller so I'll have an n64 controller soon! :rock: This is cool as I'm working on ye software bit of a nice emulator PC.... So it is possible to get a working n64 controller for free :D

about the 'cube. I guess you should be able to find a USB controller for it somewhere... google it, maybe that brings something up ...

19. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Hmm..well the gamecube is morely a n64 controller with some different buttons. It has only one data port whitch is why it is so hard for it to work with the computer. So this is good news for n64 people if I get it working with gamecube. I will look into it.

20. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

I really wanted it for NFSU2 but for N64 emulation it would RULE!! thanks
    :D

Tags: