1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Making my sons costume

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shadowspawn, 12 Oct 2004.

1. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

...and I'm going for a sort of lit up warrior thing...think Road Warrior meets Tron. Yeah, I know, but he is only seven. He thinks the pads are cool (knee, shoulder/chest and gloves) and would be happy to go out in just that and his camo gear but, unfortunately for him, he has a geek dad that wants to go that extra mile. I would love to string this stuff up with some neon string. The type that we use in our case mods. Is it feasible to hook some batteries up to a couple pieces of this string to make him light up a bit? It's 12v, so will a pack of 4 3v AA's in series do the job? How long do you think he will stay lit up? I need at least a couple of hours.

Any advice? Besides the normal seal it against rain and stuff like that. Its the electronics I'm not sure on.

2. zz300

zz300 What's a Dremel?

Glowire says it'll run from 3 or 9 volts, & already has ready-rigged lengths.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The 12V EL string will run on 9V but it's nowhere near as bright as at 12V. ZapWizzard ran some off 2 x Duracell PP3 alkalines (18V) in his light-saber, says it didn't smoke and lasted 2 hours. A 5-6V zener in series would make it last longer and ensure it doesn't even think about smoking. Or use 8xAA 1.5V alkalines, very much higher capacity, same total price over here and a tad lighter.

I don't have any mAh figures for 3V AA :confused:

Last edited: 12 Oct 2004
  4. Shadowspawn

Oops, I thought AA batteries were 3v, not 1.5v, my fault.

Good link zz, I just don't want to spend 20 bucks for 5 feet. I can get it at a car store here a lot cheaper.

I have an adapter that lets me mount 8 AA batteries in series (right? pos to neg to pos to neg?) and that would do the job, right?

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Just a thought, is there a shock risk with EL string if it breaks? AFAIK it's over 80V out the inverter...and kids charge about a lot... :worried:

6. Shadowspawn

It can't be much of a risk, as the link that zz posted earlier recommended its products for joggers.

Anyway, not much of its going to be touching skin...it'll be on the surface in parts and integrated into the pads on others.