1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might have blown my psu.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by da-dude, 30 Sep 2005.

1. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

hey all

Earlier on today i was doing some mods to my shuttle, cutting a side panel, putting sleeving and spiral wrap on wires, and fitting new zalman vga cooler to grafix card. Having done all this i then put everything back, only to find that nothing happens when i try and power up.

Im pretty sure ive blown the psu, because i tried that green wire, black wire trick, and nothing happens but a faint clicking noise comes from inside the psu, near the installed 40mm fan.

Also, i think the problem happened when i was using some heatshrink on the cable sleeving; i never sorta realised how hot a hairdryer could get and before i knew it the psu cover was red hot, could i have burned something inside???

thing is, im off to uni on sunday morning, and would really love to go with a working pc. The psu is a shuttle one, from a sn45G. what can i do??? is it done for??

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hmm... Smells like you might have fused the two PSU wires in the braiding somewhere. It's almost definately a short by the sound of it, got another system to test the PSU on?

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

"faint clicking noise" - perhaps a wire is stuck in the fan?

4. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

i doubt its a wire stuk in the fan, as the fan is at the opposite end to the psu to where i was working on.
    I might have fused a wire inside the psu, at the point where the wires come out of the casing, as this was where the hottest part was. Shall i open the case and see inside what i can do?? problem is this voids the warranty doesnt it:p
    and if i do open it up and find a fused wire, do i just unfuse them??