1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Wurlitzer Jukebox Project

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hoopstar, 6 Mar 2003.

1. Hoopstar

Hoopstar What's a Dremel?

I normally hang out over at OCAU but thought you guyz might like to look a my current project that I have been detailing over there for the last week or so... I've edited out the bits that are no longer relavent (ie. I was going to use a larger 320x240 LCD).. Hope you find it interesting :)

Hoopstars Mini Wurlitzer Jukebox

Well I have planned a MP3 "jukebox" for sometime for my pool room/bar at home but have been held back a little by the idea that building a case would probably end up looking a little too home made (read: tacky) - others have done a pretty good job with their own cabinets but this project needs to fit into the theme of the room - 50's diner/garage. Since this room is quickly nearing completion, I figured I'd better pull my finger out..

The project recently got a massive shot in the arm when the I discovered a Mini Wurlitzer style jukebox at a local homewares store.. the bonus was it had been reduced down from $170 (aus) to only $44 (aus) because it was a display model without a box and the last one left - it was on a high shelf and so apart from a little dust, is in brillant condition.
    As it stands the Mini Wurlitzer only comes with an AM/FM radio which might be great for the masses, but not us hardcore modders eh :) The plan is turn this nice looking unit into a MP3 jukebox with a DVD drive enabling it to stream DVD and DIVx video to a wall mounted TV.. Amplification will be internal but for sound quality and stereo seperation, external bookshelf style speakers will be used.. the whole lot will be controlled via an IR remote - but that is getting a little ahead of ourselves..

Ok.. first some pictures:

[​IMG]

This is the front of the unit (no really it is) and on comparison to a real Wurlitzer is a pretty close match.

[​IMG]

..and now for the obligatory night shot:

[​IMG]

Some of the mini 12 volt globes were blown giving uneven illumination. This is not really a problem as there are a couple of plans for these anyway.

[​IMG]
    This neat fold down area is where the access for the radio controls is found. It is wide enough for a CDrom drive draw to slide in and out with either some minor clearancing of the panel or removal of the front panel of the tray - not sure here yet but it'd be nice to keep the complete face plate and maybe get it plastic chromed so it fits in with the rest of the surround...

Here are all the components for the Mini-Wurlitzer:

[​IMG]

1. Speakers (Only one set shown - woofer and tweeter) - I will be making a set of small bookshelf style speakers from MDF and 2 paking them to match the style of the jukebox.
    2. This is a small 10 watt (rms) stereo amp which will be more than enough for the bar room - it's not a nightclub afterall.
    3. A blue backlit 4x20 LCD which will be simply hooked to the parallel port
    4. ATX PSU - this little puppy runs from a 12 volt, external power pack, essentially making this system completely portable (great for parties). It will also power the lights, display and amp.
    5. An Infra-Red remote control from a car stereo - this will be used to select all the functions like volume, track select, album scroll etc.
    6. A Seagate 5400rpm 10 Gig HDD - nothing too over the top and plenty big enough for my 6 gigs worth of MP3's
    7. EPIA Mini-ITX 800 board complete with 256 meg of RAM. The board has on board audio along with SPDIF out, on board video with S-video and Composite out, 10/100 NIC and IR port.
    8. A couple of 80mm cooling fans - at this stage these are optional and we'll test the whole setup to see if they are really needed. We might end up making up a small circuit to switch them on only if needed.. time will tell.
    9. Sony DDU1611 DVD-Rom Drive - this will be used for playing DVD's in the bar to a wall mounted monitor.
    10. This is one of the crossovers for the speaker system (5Khz). It incorperates speaker terminals inside the black cylinder
      [/list=1]

This shot shows the back of the Jukebox and how poorly wired up the original units is (no prizes for guessing where in the world this might of been made). That said, the cabinet is actually quite study and made with laminated MDF giving a fairly weighty feel.

[​IMG]

A couple of other points: The staining of the cabinet looks a bit cheap and rushed, so I'll rub that back a bit when it's all finished and give it a nice coat of Wattyl Contempary Maple (thats what all the timber in the house is stained in) and then seal it off with Clear Estopol which will give it a nice rich look.. I am also thinking it might be nice to put a clear perspects back on the unit so the handy work isn't totally hidden ;)

I then stripped out the Jukebox to give a nice clean starting point..

Front piccy
      [​IMG]

Rear Piccy
      [​IMG]

A couple of things have changed in the planning of the project - firstly and probably most importantly is the dumping of the 4x20 LCD for a nice graphic LCD. This adds a little more complexity to the project (and a **** load more to the costing) but I think the end result will look a whole lot better and be a little more functional. The graphic LCD will allow us to display different size text, spectrum analyser, oscilloscope, and "analogue" style VU meters which should look fantastic...

I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours today on the Mini Wurlitzer most of which has been planning and working out how to actually mount gear into it neatly and functionally..

Anyway, I got the PSU and amp boards mounted today and ran the wiring for all off that lot - mostly just shortening looms so there isn't extra wire everywhere.. Most of the DVD-ROM mounting has been sussed out, but the actual work still needs to be done. I did however managed to make up some little mounts for the HDD out of some scrap aluminium from my workshop - they are basically just 1.6mm aluminium cut into strips, folded at right angles and holes drilled in the correct places.. looks pretty neat I think. The HDD sits above the cutout on the front panel (which is covered by the speaker grille and cloth) so that will probably help with heat a little.. if need be I have enough room in the cutout to stick a slim line 60mm fan.

The plan is to mount the motherboard in front (above) the HDD but I have to wait until tomorrow to get some PCB stand offs and mounting hardware..

[​IMG]

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Looking good.

3. Jackel

Jackel Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

Last edited: 5 Jun 2004
  4. jethro

jethro Modthusiast

MMMM jukebox goodness! looks good,
    it is uber original too.

5. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

righteous! :rock: keep us posted!

6. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

WOW, nice idea... I hope it turns out well, keep us updated !

DDK

7. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> looks really good. keep us updated.

-> is the power supply powerful enough for your set up?
    -> how many watts is it?

8. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

why not use a slot loading drive?

9. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Cool idea!!! PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!!!!

GeeK!

10. Sir George

Sir George What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far :clap: I'm very interested in this one, since I'm still debating between creating a mp3-/divx-pc inside an old floodlight or inside an old jukebox-style radio... It's a different style jukebox though; it's got a Harley Davidson engine in front and I think your's is looking a lot better (I'll probably go for the floddlight casing ;)).

Anyway, I'm also wondering if the psu will be able to power all that. On mini-itx.com they say you can't run a normal sized HDD and CD-rom an it :( :
    So plz let us know if it manages all your gear.

Sir George

11. Hoopstar

Hoopstar What's a Dremel?

I have had the computer running along with the HDD and DVD-ROM and it works a treat..

Here's a quote about the PSU from Mini-ITX.com:
    I havent done much in the way of updates because I am madly converting my CD's to MP3's..

12. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

I like this :D Maybe some pics of what the rest of the room looks like are in order?

I fully intend on having a bar in my house (when I eventually get one!) and it'd be nice to see just how yours turned out :)

13. Sir George

Sir George What's a Dremel?

Great!

Reading this finally convinced me that I didn't need a bigger psu, so I've just ordered a Via Epia M10000, this here PSU and 512MB of RAM (I already have a 19GB harddisk).

Looking forward to my first mod...

Back on-topic:
    Keep up the good work and it would indeed be nice to see some pics of "the larger-scale mod" (i.e. the surrounding case for this case i.e. your room).

Sir George

14. eddydawes

eddydawes What's a Dremel?

Looks very interesting, do you know where I can get some info on my Wurlitzer Lyric

It has a problem, although no Latch Pins are raised it plays the same record continuously?

Eddy

15. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

nice idea. i gonne have an eye on this one. keep it up!

16. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

do any of you guys actually look at the date of some of these threads....
    was the last post!
    eddydawes thanks for brining back a dead thread :thumb: